Saturday, August 16, 2014

August 2014 Ipsy Bag! - Beauty Schooled - Unboxing and Review!

Hello! Hope you're doing well. I'm sad to see Saturday already come to a close; I wish I had another long weekend like I did last week. It's getting harder and harder to wake up every day and go to work, but hopefully things will improve soon since my husband and I are both in the market for new jobs! We might look into working part-time and then using the rest of our time to pursue our passions (me crafts, he streaming videogame playing).

This is going to be the unboxing and review of my August 2014 Ipsy subscription! I love Ipsy; it's only $10 a month, shipping included, and I feel like I always get my money worth! $10 for a beauty surprise every month? Yes, please!

This month, Ipsy really wanted me to ruin the surprise; they kept sending me e-mails saying I can "sneak peek" at what I was getting in my Glam Room. Isn't part of the fun of these subscription boxes the surprise? It's bad enough I have to be careful when I'm on social media so I don't get spoilers! Unfortunately, through my Instagram browsing, I did catch a glimpse of the bag and a few products. At least I didn't know that I was getting those items for sure.
Pink mailer of mystery and intrigue!
The theme for this month's bag is "Beauty Schooled", which is always popular with subscription/theme boxes this time of year.

Ipsy changed the back of the info card this month!
Instead of the usual "post this on Instagram/Facebook/Twitter and you could win a free year of Ipsy!", this month they want you to write one or two beauty tips, post the picture to social media, and then you could win some swag from this month's brands. Very interesting; it even matches the theme.
The bag feels very "back to school" as well. It reminds me of a pencil case and the macaroni and cheese orange combined with white just feels..."school" to me. Not sure why. It does feel kind of cheap, but it's included with a $10 subscription. Can't complain too much.
Like in my video, I'll start with the one product that didn't fit in the bag. And boy was I excited to see it! This is a deluxe size sample of Urban Decay's new Perversion mascara which promises "Bigger. Blacker. Badder." lashes. I considered purchasing this, especially since it comes with a free deluxe sized sample of the the Subversion lash primer (even though I don't even like lash primers; I just like free things...) but I had an inkling that it would show up in Ipsy and it did! I feel like a lot of people got this item, though there was also an Urban Decay 24/7 pencil in Plushie that you could have gotten. I assume the people who hate mascara got the eyeliner or some such thing.

Apparently, this mascara has "triple black" pigments. It also has something called "Hairdensyl", which sounds kind of made up, that is a "complex blend of proteins and ammino acids". This mascara also has honey extract, which is cool, and a lot of marine stuff because beauty seems to come from the sea these days. The full size retails for $22, so this 0.1fl oz sample is worth $5.50.

In my bag I got four other samples, bringing the grand total to five products (which is the norm; getting any less is disappointing, getting anymore is amazing).
This the the Dr. Brandt Pores No More pore refining primer. I'm pretty "meh" about this product since I've gotten it a few times before in both sample boxes and from Sephora and my skin isn't a fan of primers (unless they don't have silicone in them; then it's cool). This product minimizes pores by light diffusion (which is fancy talk for there's some kind of sparkle or shimmer to it, though it's very fine in this product since I've never noticed it), it's mattifying, and it's antibacterial (which I didn't know and is actually really cool!). The full size of this is $45 for 1fl oz, making this 0.25fl oz sample worth $11.25. Which...is kind of shocking.
Next up is a J. Cat Beauty "Flying Solo" eyeshadow single in...
Half Naked! Everyone who got this product got the same color, which is okay since it's a good neutral, though I wish that people who liked bright,colorful eyeshadow had gotten, well, a bright, colorful eyeshadow instead of a neutral. Believe me, I have more than enough neutrals.
 It is a pretty color, and it will be great for blending or as a base layer since it's almost my skin tone. It's a smidge more peachy in real life, though. You can use these wet or dry, and there's even a little mirror and applicator hidden in the compact, which makes this a really useful single! This is full sized and is worth $2.99 (but I'm going to say $3 because it basically is).

Because I need more lip balms in my life, the next item I got in my bag was...
A Jersey Shore Sun Mongongo Lip Conditioner! I have no clue what Mongongo oil is, but apparently it has hydrating, regenerating, and restructuring properties; it offers protection from UV and environmental pollutants; and it is rich in calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, and anti-oxidants. This product is also USDA certified organic! The first time I got a product from Jersey Shore Sun (in another ipsy bag, incidentally), I was initially put off, but after researching the brand, I was pretty impressed. They use good ingredients and a lot of their products are organic. This is a full size and retails for $5.50.

Finally, I got a travel-size bottle of the Klorane Dry Shampoo With Oat Milk.
I feel like I've gotten this product before, but I'm not 100% sure. I know I've gotten a full size of the nettle dry shampoo they make for oily hair, but I had to give that to my friend since my hair is super dry. This Oat Milk formula is for all hair types and can be used daily if you want to. I do really like Klorane's line of hair care products, especially the Desert Date Leave-In Conditioner I got in a Blush.com Mystery Beauty Box forever and a day ago, and this apparently won the Allure Magazine 2011 Best of Beauty Award for Dry Shampoo. Neat. The full size is 3.2oz for $19.50, so this 1.06oz sample size is worth about $6.45.

And that's my August 2014 Ipsy bag! I got five products: two full size and three deluxe sample sized and the total value of my bag is $31.70, which is three times what I paid (though it's only $20.45 without the Pores No More which I still can't accept as an $11 value). I'm happy with this bag, especially with the Perversion sample, and I look forward to September.

Thanks for reading! <3

1 comment:

  1. I got the same bag as you! I am most excited about the Pores No More, dry shampoo and mascara, although everything was great!

    ReplyDelete