Monday, July 14, 2014

Surf's Up Voxbox - Unboxing and First Impressions!

Hello! I'm continuing with my new trend of blogging then filming. It feels more efficient, especially since it's sometimes harder to film now than it is to blog due to weird time constraints (meaning that I only like to film when my husband is at work and that usually only gives me Saturday mornings). Before, I much preferred filming over blogging and would procrastinate until I couldn't stand all the stuff around my desk (confession time: I don't have a desk per se, I'm actually using our dining room table. I've commandeered it for all my stuff, including my fish, Cicero) but now I kind of like the idea of getting blogging out of the way first and then putting everything away right after I film.

For this post, I'm going to do a kind-of unboxing (I'm still a little unsure of the definition of "unboxing"; I hear a lot of people on Youtube say that they're not doing a "real" unboxing since they've already opened it, but then what would you call something like that if it's not an "unboxing"? English is a difficult language...) and first impressions of the products I received in my very first Influenster Voxbox! I also have to tell you that I was sent these items for free for review purposes. I was not, however, compensated for this review beyond the items themselves and my opinions remain uninfluenced and my own.

Yay, coral!
If you don't know what Influenster and/or Voxboxes are, they're a pretty ingenious method of marketing. You can sign up to be an Influenster and the more "influence" you have over people (you can raise your numbers by linking to your blog and social media sites as well as posting reviews and answering questions about products) the more points/badges you get and the more likely you are to receive free stuff to review and tell other people about. It's pretty win-win since you get free things and, if you're like me and like to tell people what you think about things, you get to talk to about them, and companies get essentially free marketing. Plus, people are way more likely to listen to a friend/blogger they trust than a commercial. It's consumerism at it's finest, really.

And I was lucky enough to get my first Voxbox! I was really surprised when I got the e-mail; I didn't expect to get something so quickly. Then again, they said this was their biggest campaign ever at 15k Voxboxes so...maybe not all that lucky. This also took forever to get to me; they had some shipping/stock issues and I'm supposed to be getting an additional item soon that they weren't able to include in the box.
Like everything ever, it has it's own info card! I like the blue; very soothing.
And here's the back, detailing all the items you got (or could have got; in the red you got one of the two, and I'm very happy I didn't get the Covergirl mascara because I've already tried it and it's not very good). You got four items (technically, three for now since the Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration After Sun is shipping separately) and a coupon to pick up a free Jamba Juice Smoothie Kit.
I haven't been to a Jamba Juice since college (there were like three on campus for some reason. I get the feeling they are now overtaken by coffee shops) so I'm not on the up-and-up on them. I think it's neat, though, that they have these frozen smoothie kits since it makes things extremely customizable (plus, you don't have to leave the house for one). I picked up the green one with the veggie juice in it (I feel too weird taking a picture of a frozen food item...) and I'm interested in giving it a try. We don't own a blender, so I'm not sure how well it will work out, but I am definitely intrigued.
This is another very interesting item! This is a First Aid Shot Therapy (F.A.S.T.) pain relief "shot". It's in a berry flavor and it's FDA compliant, which is always a good thing when it comes to drugs. This is kind of like one of those energy shot things, except for pain! It has an NSAID pain reliever and fever reducer (pretty sure that's what ibuprofen is) and caffeine, which I think makes it work faster (I have a friend who gets killer migraines and she swears by drinking a can of Coke after taking pain reliever meds). While this is a little bulky (this is one dose and it's about the same size as a bottle of regular pills), I really like the idea of a drinkable form of pain relief. I sometimes struggle with taking pills; I normally have to be eating something or drink a lot of water to get them down and it can be difficult to take pain relievers when I'm out and about. I can see this being really helpful at the beach or on a hike or somewhere where you might now have easy access to things like food and/or water (or you don't want to take the time to go looking for them). I haven't tried this out yet, but I will put it in my purse for emergencies!
Imagine how excited I was to find nail polish in this box! And it's a Sinful Colors polish, too! Ever since I picked up the color Cinderella from Target, I've been very interested in trying more from this brand. I was really impressed with the quality, especially for a $2 polish!
This is the color "Anchors Away" and I believe it's from the summer line this year. I'm also really happy to get this color; for some reason, I suddenly really like this kind of yellow-orangey mac and cheese type of color but I don't own any polishes in it!
It's so bright and summery, but in a fun way, not in an obnoxious way. I think a bright yellow or a bright orange can be hard to wear, but this is mellow enough that it looks cute, not extreme.
Finally, this was the "one or the other" product; I could have gotten this set of Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Texturizing shampoo and conditioner or the Covergirl Bombshell mascara. Like I said, I am so extremely happy I got this instead of that! I'm 99% sure I've never tried anything by Not Your Mother's before, but I've heard a lot about the brand and I've been curious. I am a little nervous to give these a try since my hair is already really textured and I worry about frizz problems, but such is the life of one who likes to try out new products.

And that's my Surf's Up Influenster Voxbox! I am going to be getting one more product, the Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration After Sun lotion, which I will add to this post after it comes in the mail.
 And here it is! It smells great (the envelope it came in even smells good), though it makes my skin feel kind of dry and weird after using it. Not sure if it's creating a protective layer to help prevent/heal damage, but I think I prefer regular lotion over this after sun stuff. But seriously. It smells amazing.

This was a pretty neat box; it included some products/brands I've never tried before and some nail polish that I've been interested in trying more of! If you're not already, I would recommend checking Influenster out and signing up!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment