Saturday, June 14, 2014

June 2014 Blush.com Mystery Beauty Box - Unboxing and Review!

Hello! I'm so happy it's finally the weekend! This week has been a bit up and down and I really just need a few days to unwind and decompress. I got all my adult responsibilities done so I don't have anything pressing to attend to this weekend (besides possibly cleaning the bathtub, but that won't take too long since it's still relatively clean; it's more of a maintenance thing) besides making a bunch of videos and/or blog posts.

For this post, I'm going to talk about my June 2014 Blush.com Mystery Beauty Box! This is a $24.95 a month subscription box (shipping included) in which you are guaranteed at least $100 worth of makeup, skin care, and hair care products (also some wellness stuff, too. I got vibrated water once!). You can also purchase single boxes for $34.95 which, while you still get your money's worth, I don't think is a good idea when you can save $10 by subscribing. Overall, I like this subscription service, though there have been some recent hiccups that have slightly tainted my good opinion of it. This box, however, was great!

It's a bag! In a box!
As always, I got two free samples with my Blush.com Mystery Box since it counts as an order (and you get two free sample with any Blush.com order). These samples can be quite variable; sometimes you get deluxe sizes, sometimes you get foil packets, sometimes you get three samples!
Bwah bwah, two foil packets. I got a sample of Dermalogica Intensive Eye Repair and Pure Night. Since these are both Dermalogica samples, I assume this was planned and not just some random samples that were thrown in (I always wonder how that works; are there huge baskets of samples and the packers just throw in whatever they feel like?). I have a lot of foil packets laying around so I may use these, I may give them away. Not sure.

Every month, there is a special featured product that is revealed in a video promo for that month's mystery box. Usually, the item is selected by a special guest curator, but for some reason this month it wasn't. I kind of feel like Blush.com picked this item since these types of products are trending right now and they wanted to capitalize on that.
The featured product always gets it's own side of the info card, and this month it's the Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! hair mask. In full size!
I have gotten this product before in a sample size from my an ipsy bag, and while I think it's a good product, I unfortunately can't use it since it has argan oil in it. Also for some reason, hair masks don't play well with my hair; they always seem to leave it more dry and brittle feeling than before I used the mask. Not sure if it's because my hair is so fine or curly or what, but I've never met a hair mask that I like. If you aren't allergic to argan oil, and hair masks work for you, this is pretty awesome, especially since it's full size and worth $26!
There were four other products in June's box, three of which are also full sized!

Going in the order of the info card, next is the:
NYX Be Free palette! I was really excited to get this! When I was placing my NYX order, I actually considered getting this. Glad I didn't!
This palette has 25 eyeshadows, 3 blushes, 7 lip glosses, and 3 lame applicators (and a partridge in a pear tree, except not really because that would be weird).
There are two versions of this palette, one is called Be Free and the other is called Be Fierce, but everyone got the Be Free one.
The eyeshadows are on the top part under the mirror and the blushes and lip glosses slide on on the bottom. I'll definitely use the shadows and blushes, but I'm not sure about the lip glosses. I don't like lip products packaged in palettes like this; it's hard to apply them on the go and they get dirty quickly. I might play with them just to see the colors, but beyond that, eh. This is full sized and worth $20.

Next is the Dermanew Cleansing Creme for Sensitive Skin.
The poor box got pretty banged up during shipping, and the cleanser even leaked a little!
It didn't get on anything else, though, so no real harm done. This is basically a makeup cleanser for sensitive skin and it will be great for in the shower (I don't wash my face in the morning because I don't have oily skin, but I do wash it in the shower since I usually have makeup on then and it feels weird to not wash my face. At night I use my Murad Acne cleanser gel stuff). I like that it has a pump; again, great for the shower, and it leaves my skin feeling clean and soft. This is another full size and it's worth $24!

Another product I was super excited to get is the Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Seasilk Oil Gel!
I've used a lot of Alterna hair care products in the past and have been generally pleased with them, so I'm always excited to try another! This is a leave-in treatment/styling product combo and it's supposed to moisturize while controlling frizz, taming flyaways, and giving lightweight hold. I also like that you can use this on either dry or damp hair; I'm always looking for hair styling products I can use in the mornings since that's when my hair needs the most help (and I'm usually too tired or lazy to take a shower). This is also a full sized product and is worth $28.

Finally, the only not full sized product in this month's box, this is the Phyto Phytolisse Ultra-Glossing Finishing Serum, formally known as the Phytolisse Finishing Serum (sorry, I just really like the Prince joke in there).
This product has mallow extract, pro-vitamin B5 (what's the different between a vitamin and a pro-vitamin?), and phytantriol (which I probably spelt wrong since I can't read my own writing and my spell check thinks I wanted to write phytoplankton) to enhance curl definition and shine. This is another product you can use on both dry or damp hair. This is a pretty small sample, but since you only need to use 1-2 drops at a time, it will last a good while. The full size of this product is 1.7fl oz and sells for $30, so this .16fl oz sample is worth $2.80. I'm pretty sure they just threw this in the box to get it past $100.

Overall, I got five products this month! Four of those were full size and only one was a deluxe sample size. The total box value was $100.80 (see? They needed that $2.80) and while this wasn't the most "valuable" box I've ever gotten, I really like all the products in here and, if I wasn't allergic to one of them, would get a lot of use out of all of them! I really hope Blush.com gives us more boxes like this one and less boxes like lasts months; I really do like this subscription service, but I just don't like how variable it can be in quality. I eagerly await next month!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment