Sunday, May 11, 2014

Sephora Inside JCP Exclusive Summer Stash Kit - Overview and Review!

Hello! I am nearing the end of my post-a-thon and it feels good! As I said in my last haul post, I wanted to give a more in depth look at the Sephora Favorites Summer Stash Kit that is exclusive to the Sephoras inside JCPenney. It's slightly different from the one you can find at regular Sephora's and at Sephora.com. To the best of my knowledge, you can't purchase Sephora Inside JCP exclusives online anywhere (well, maybe from eBay, but I mean officially), so they feel somewhat more rare and hard to get. Also they tend to have more interesting things in them!
Mmm, reused photo! I promise I have more interesting ones after the cut!
I think the best place to start is the basics: this kit is exclusive to the Sephoras inside of JCPenneys, it costs $42, and it has eight products, all of which are deluxe sample sized. This kit differs in four ways from the Summer Stash kit you can find at regular Sephoras: this kit has a benefit They're Real mascara instead of a Marc Jacobs Lash Lifter mascara, a Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal instead of a Buxon Divine Goddess Luminizer in Venus, it does not include a mini Josie Maran Coconut Water Cheek Gelee in Pink Escape, and this kit is $3 less. I personally prefer this kit over the regular Sephora one, even though I would like to try the Marc Jacobs mascara. I already own the full size of the cheek gelee, so I'm glad I didn't get a double (though it is a great product and if you don't have it, that's something to consider), and I am especially glad I got the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector since I really like Becca products and have heard a lot of good things about it. This kit doesn't have very good reviews because, compared to other Sephora Favorites kits, especially the ones from the holidays, this is a little...lacking. The products are pretty small and $42-$45 isn't exactly cheap. But, if you're like me and you like to try new and different things, then this kit isn't as bad of a deal as people make it out to be.
Here's a mostly pointless picture of the back of the kit. I'm not sure if you'll be able to even read it, but it lists all the products you get along with their ingredients. I'm actually a little surprised that over half the products are made in the US, with two being made in Germany, and one in France. I'm used to more things being made in Europe. I'm pretty excited to use all these products; I've used two of them before and the rest are all brand new. I think I'll go in the order they are on the back, since that feels more logical to me.
You also get a cute cosmetic bag! This is the exact same bag you get with the regular Sephora kit; it's a pale tan burlap-like material with gold threaded throughout and two gold zigzags. I like the simplicity of it; it's rustic without being shabby. It also feels very appropriate for summer!

Going by the back of the kit, the first product I'll talk about is the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal.
When I was looking for more info about this product on the Sephora website, at first I thought they had discontinued it since I couldn't find it. Turns out, the full size packaging is way different from this deluxe sample size. This is basically supposed to be a type of cream highlighter and it seems to give a very subtle glow, which is nice. I really like cream face products since I tend to have drier skin and I like the dewy, healthy look. I'm a little unsure about the color, though, after seeing the different options.
You can't see it well, but this is it swatched on the back of my hand. It looks nice enough, but I guess Opal is more of a golden opal pearl color (so it's kind of pinky). I think the color Moonstone (a pale gold) might be more appropriate since I have more gold in my skintone than pink. We'll have to see, though. I can use my Nars Illuminator in Orgasm just fine, and that's super peachy. Very excited to give this a try!

Next is one of the products I've used (multiple) times before: benefit's They're Real! mascara.
Not much new to say about this product; it's a well loved and oft-reviewed product. The only thing I wish this kit had over the other was the Marc Jacobs mascara since I really, really want to try something from that line (without having to shell out for a full sized product). I don't like one of the benefit mascaras because of how wet the formula is, but I can never remember if it's this one or the Bad Girl lash. I may end up giving this to my mom since I also just bought the Lash Stash kit...

I was really excited to get a mini of this product in this specific color since I've heard so much about it...
This is a mini Deborah Lippmann nail polish in the color Mermaid's Dream! This color is amazing! It's such a pretty mix of blue and green and it really reminds me of mermaids.
So pretty! Again, this is one of those well-loved products that I really don't have anything new to say about besides agreeing with everyone about how pretty this is. This is my second Deborah Lippmann polish now and, while I do really like the formula, I'm still not convinced it's worth paying for a full sized bottle. $18-$20 a bottle is really pushing it, especially when I can get great polish from Zoya or OPI for $9-$10 (even the expensive designer OPI polish is like $12 a bottle). Still, really glad to have this color in my collection.

Next is one of my favorite products in this kit, just for the color alone.
This is a mini Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes waterproof eyeliner pencil in the color 12L. Descriptive. I think I prefer it when companies give their colors names, even if they're nonsense, since it's easier to remember than just a number.
But seriously. I wasn't prepared for this gorgeous peacock blue. It looks more blue in my picture, but if you watch the video, I think it gives a better idea of what the color actually looks like. Also you can see my inital reaction to it. Waterproof eyeliner is great for summer (sweat, beaches, more sweat) and. Man. This color. It's just so pretty.

This is the other product I've used before and another I won't spend too much time one since everyone everywhere knows about it.
This is a mini Nars bronzer in, what else, Laguna! I had a mini of this before (it was the duo with Orgasm blush from a kit a long time ago) and it's a nice bronzer. I think I prefer my Too Faced Chocolate Soleil bronzer due to color and the fact that it smells like chocolate, but this is a nice little travel-sized product (my Too Faced bronzer kit is not so travel friendly, at least size-wise).

Now this product is my favorite from this whole kit!
This is a mini OCC Stained Gloss in the color New Wave and it even comes with a mini applicator brush (which you need to be able to even use the gloss so yay! Though I already have a few of these laying around from my other OCC kits). Apparently this is the only color that's currently sold out online out the Stained Gloss collection, so that's pretty neat. I already have a few OCC Lip Tars and I love them dearly; you have to use soooo little so even the minis will last you forever and the color is so vivid and gorgeous. Also these are 100% vegan and cruelty-free! The Stained Glosses are little more translucent than the original lip tars, so it gives a softer look, much more appropriate for summer. These will also stain your lips so they have incredible staying power!

The color looks really intense and bright in the tube, but since it applies translucently, it looks much more natural on. A great product in a gorgeous shade!

This next product is one people had a bit of an issue with being included in this kit.
This is a mini Stila Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eye Shadow in, what else, Kitten! Kitten is the shade Stila is known for and for good reason! It's a pretty, easy to wear gold champagne. Also the name "Kitten" is adorable. This is a super metallic eye shadow, somewhat similar in finish to a combination of my Julep Liquid Eye Shadow and my Urban Decay Moondust shadow. The issue people have with it is that, if you buy this in the full size, you get a special liquid primer to go with it to help it stick to your eyelids and stay there. Because it just has the most glitter in it. I don't think the lack of the liquid primer is the biggest deal; it is a little annoying that Sephora didn't include it since it's supposed to be part of the whole eye shadow package, but you can apply it without the primer, and you could easily pick up a different glitter primer, like the one from Lit cosmetics (which you can also get at Sephora), and just use it with all your glitter shadows.
This swatch is a much better representation of the color than the one I did in my video. I think I had to break through the top layer since when I swatched it in the video it seemed pretty sheer and more like my UD Moondust, but here it's much more metallic and opaque. I did get a ton of glitter everywhere while swatching this, especially after trying to clean it off, so if you don't like fall out, I'd probably avoid this unless you do have a good glitter primer.

And last but not least, there is a mini bottle of Urban Decay's All Night Makeup Setting Spray.
I feel like this is another product people have talked about enough to the point where everyone knows its good points and its bad points fairly well. I've never tried it before, so I'm glad I finally get to, but I don't know how much use I have for another makeup setting spray, since I have a nice big bottle of MAC's Fix+. I'm also interested in trying the Skindinavia (I'm sure I spelt that wrong) version of this, though I'm pretty sure Skindinavia makes this for Urban Decay so it's the same thing (at least I think so).

And that's the Sephora Inside JCPenney exclusive Summer Stash kit! Again, this kit differs slightly from the one available at regular Sephoras and on Sephora.com and I think I prefer this one for subtle reasons. It is a little pricey at $42 ($45 for the other version), especially since all you're getting are minis, no full sizes this time around, but these are good quality products from well-respected brands in popular summer colors, so I think this is a great way to be on trend for summer (as opposed to buying the full sized items and not being able to use them before the end of summer and then risking them going bad over the winter).

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment