Sunday, May 11, 2014

May 2014 Julep Maven Subscription Box - Boho Glam Plus Add-Ons! - Unboxing and Review!

Hello! Happy Mother's Day! This is a great time of year to thank your mom for incubating you inside of her body for 9 months and then expelling you into the world in horrific manner! But seriously, moms are super important (dads are too! But they get their own day coming up in June), everyone has one, and no body would be here if it wasn't for all the sacrifices moms make every day for us! I went and saw my mom and dad yesterday (we didn't want to deal with the crazy crowds that are surely out and about today) and my husband and I saw my mother-in-law last weekend (they wanted to watch the Blackhawks vs. the MN Wild game) so I have today to relax and reflect upon all the wonderful maternal love happening today!

Also I get to make a blog post! And possibly make some videos! And then make more blog posts! Yay for keeping up! For this post, I'm gonna to show you guys what I got in my May 2014 Julep Maven box. This is a special box since this is the release of the brand new Julep Plie Wand!
Oooo a big box this month!
First of all, I want to thank you guys; I think someone used my referral link to sign up for a Maven box since I had way more Jules (Julep's reward points) than I thought I did! In fact, I was able to get two free polishes this month, which is totally awesome and I seriously can't thank you guys enough!

I went with the Boho Glam (my "official" style profile) this month; the moment I saw the color swatches in the blog, I knew that it was perfect for me. Admittedly, I loved almost all the colors this month, and I'm a little sad I couldn't have added one or two more (you're only allowed three add-ons, and I used all three).
These are the info cards this month. I have no idea why, but my camera just didn't want to photograph this box well so most of these pictures will be a little blurry. The quote this month is "The best color in the whole world is the one that looks good on you." by Coco Chanel. I also got a coupon for $10 off my next Julep.com purchase of over $20. It kind of sucks that you can't use it in combination with the Savvy Deals or the Secret Store, since I don't think it's generally a good idea to buy Julep products for full price (since everything goes on sale all the time. It's like Bath and Body Works). As I said, I love the colors in this month's collection, which Julep has dubbed "Fresh Twist".
On the back of the info card, Julep shows off its Glycolic Hand Scrub, which comes in a white bottle (again) and is now called the "Brilliance Glycolic Hand Scrub". I like the bright pink bottle better since it stands out more on my bathroom counter (90% of all my other stuff is in mostly white bottles).

The super big special deal this month is the release of the Julep Plie Wand, a special handle you can use with your Julep polishes to make painting your nails much easier!
They included a handy-dandy info booklet on how to use and take care of your new Plie Wand system! Julep had a Crowdfunder where people could donate to make this wand a reality and, if you did donate, you got some special extra gifts this month. I didn't donate (for no particular reason, really), but I'm glad it got made and that Mavens got to give their input on the design; specifically changing the way it attaches to the polishes. Before, it wasn't an interchangeable system so you'd either have to get all new Julep polishes or buy new caps to replace your old ones. For people like me who have 60+ nail polishes...that's not cool. Now it's completely interchangeable with all Julep polishes so yay!
The first page here shows the full Plie system as it is now. There is the wand, a striping brush, a dotting tool, and a special precision brush that has a shorter stem than the normal brushes. The second page shows how easy it is to attach the Wand to your Julep polishes. You just pop off the other cap, pop on the magnetic collar, and boom! Good to go!
These pages show the advantage the Plie Wand gives you while polishing your nails. Basically, it enables you to grip the polish cap in a more natural and ergonomical way and it gives you a bunch of different grip options so if one way doesn't work for your non-dominant hand, you can change it. My favorite part about this system is all the people saying on Julep's Facebook that the Plie Wand has enabled them to paint their nails for the first time in years due to their arthritis. Everyone should be able to paint their nails if they want!
The last page of the booklet shows you how to care for your Wand. Basically, you just have to make sure to clean it with nail polish remover before your first use (the brushes have a special film on them to protect them during shipping) and then after each use. Pretty easy!
This is the baggie that had the precision brush. This brush is kind of pointless, unless you really want that few centimeters shorter brush wand.
You also get a spare cap, though, so that's convenient, especially if you're using more than one color at a time. You can get it all set up and ready to go so while you're painting your nails, all you have to do is swap out the magnetic caps.
I also added on the Creativity Kit! These had sold out right away and I was sad I couldn't get one, but Julep added more and I was able to add them on to my box for $5. Nice.
Pretty standard as striping brushes and dotting tools go, but I like that I use a more natural grip with these. I'm still pretty bad at nail art, so hopefully this will inspire me to keep trying.
And here's the box itself! I like the very professional looking box; it's also why the Maven boxes were a little bigger than normal this month.
The side of the box had an overview of the info provided in the booklet. It's really simple system, so it will be easy to use for everyone!
Once again, nice, profession packaging! Uh, my nails kind of stabbed the foam when I tried to get the Wand out so just ignore any gouges. You get another precision brush in the actual kit itself.
Here's the Wand put together; mmm, shiny!
And then I though it would be fun to show you a way you can bend it. I thought that you could bend it like a hinge, but it's actually more of a swivel joint, if that makes sense. I think the designer of Wand cited that he was inspired by how the passenger controlled air vents work on airplanes. It's pretty slick and I'm curious to see if it really will help me apply my polish better.
And here are the polishes I got this month! They kind of took a backseat to the Plie Wand, but the colors are sooooo pretty this month that I had to get as many as possible (...without buying the whole collection because I seriously don't need anymore Julep polish). Like I said, I went with Boho Glam (the two in the sleeve), and then I added on two colors.
This is Paulette, from Boho Glam. It's described as a "golden lilac tulle shimmer" and oh my god it is so pretty! I love purple right now and the golden shimmer just adds such a beautiful dimension to the color...love it!
This is Jeanne, a "jet-set blue crème", also from Boho Glam. This is a pretty standard blue cream color and, even though I have a lot of these kinds of blues, this is one of my favorite colors to wear (all the time, regardless of season) so I'm happy to get another!
This is Saaya, from the Bombshell box. It's a "golden apricot shimmer" and, once again, it's the gold shimmer that really makes this polish! The apricot color is a nice, soft way to wear orange for summer and I feel like this is a very flattering color for many skintones!
Finally, this is Ramona, a "muted lavender rose crème" from Classic With A Twist. Again, I'm super into purples right now and I thought this would be a great way to wear a super pale color without having to go with a stark white. I am a little concerned about this color after reading the reviews on Julep.com since it seems that people have had some issues with this polish being on the thicker side. I've only swatched it, I haven't painted it on my actual nails yet, so I can't say if maybe some people got a bad batch or if it's a problem that the polish has in general, but if it is super thick, I do have nail polish thinner so hopefully it won't be a big issue.
Swatches! Left to right is Saaya, Ramona, Jeanne, and Paulette! I don't know what my problem's been lately but I've been getting messy while swatching (see the blue on Paulette?). I love all these colors! I already wore Paulette and it's just...I can't even say how gorgeous this color is and how perfect it feels for summer.

And that's my box! Very, very happy with this box this month! The Plie Wand is pretty cool and, if it really does help me paint my nails better, will be an invaluable tool in my nail polishing arsenal.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment