Saturday, May 10, 2014

Check Out The Neat Stuff I Got! - Another Haul! - Sephora, Ulta, Merle Norman, And More!

Hello! I'm being super uncreative again and using the same title for this post as I did for the corresponding Youtube video; I'm post-a-thoning this weekend since I have a lot of stuff piling up around my desk and I want to get it all cleaned up and organized! Plus, if I have stuff waiting to get blogged about it, I tend to not use it, and I really want to jump in and start using this stuff! This isn't too terribly big of a haul, so this should go by pretty quickly.
I've been quite addicted to going to Sally Beauty Supply lately, and since I had my $5 off coupon to burn, I thought I'd make another trip! Lucky I did, since I was able to get some nail polish for super cheap!

I got these two China Glaze polishes for half off of half off. I don't really like China Glaze, but for $3ish or less, I can deal! I actually got another polish, but I'm hoping to use that one in a giveaway soon, I want to keep it a secret! On the left is a mini of China Glaze Fairy Dust and the right is China Glaze Sand Dolla Make You Holla. Fairy Dust is a pretty, super holo-glitter topcoat and Sand Dolla Etc. is a white sand texture polish with multicolored glitter.
Swatches! Far left is Sand Dolla Etc., then Fairy Dust, then OPI Significant Other Color, which I'll talk about in a little bit. Unfortunately, Sand Dolla Etc. was clearly used and it was super crusty underneath the cap. I added in some nail polish thinner to help restore any dried up solvents (and kill any icky organisms), but I don't think it played well with the texture. I really liked how it swatched, but when I put it on my nails, it just looked weird. I ended up giving it to my mom and sister. Fairy Dust is super pretty and will be a nice, somewhat subtle topcoat.

I also got some other things! I don't normally look into the middle aisles at Sally's since all the nail polish is around the other edge, but I decided to explore a little this time.
I picked these up (these were actually in the nail-perimeter-section) since I saw someone haul them in a Youtube video. These are special pads to use to remove your nail polish; they have a tab on the back that helps you hold them in a way that prevents your other nails from coming in contact with any remover. I thought these would be great for trying out nail stamping since you need to clean off the plate and stamper every time and it would be dangerous to do with just a cotton ball (dangerous to your already finished nails I mean).
Last time I was at Sally's, I was able to get any Ion product (up to $7.99) for free. I ended up going with the curly hair spray gel, but I seriously considered getting this. This is a flexible hold finishing spray from the Anti-Frizz Solutions line. I don't have any finishing spray and, since I'm trying to figure out Cute Hair, I thought it would be a good thing to invest in, especially for only $4.
This was a huge impulse purchase, but I really like it! It's a thick, wide, terrycloth head wrap that adjusts to your head size with velcro! Since I love taking little "spa days" where I exfoliate and give myself a facial, I thought this would be a nice way to keep my hair contained and to make it feel more lux! I've used this a few times already, and it works really well! I think I only paid $5-$6 for this, and it's totally worth it.

I also discovered a cool, new store!
I've seen Merle Normans before, but I've never gone in one since I always assumed they were more..."old lady" type of stores, due to all the big, fancy hats and wigs they sell. There's one in the mall really close to me and I've walked past it numerous times without a second thought. For some reason, I paid more attention than usual and I saw that they carried OPI nail polishes. I figured, why not stop and see? And it was amazing! The lady who helped me was super nice and chatted with me about nail polish and the other stuff they offered there. You can go in and get a complimentary facial or makeup application, which is really cool! They had a lot of OPI products that I hadn't seen in other stores and the lady said that if there was something from OPI that I wanted, they'd most likely be able to hunt it down and get it for me; essentially being my OPI dealer! I ended up picking up a color I've been looking for (though it's not super rare, for some reason I live in a restocking dead zone), Significant Other Color.
It's a gorgeous, slightly sheer duo chrome purple! I'm still super into purple right now and was sooooo happy I found this!
I already posted this earlier, but I figured I'd do it again so you wouldn't have to scroll up. Significant Other Color is on the far right.

When I got my Significant Other Color, I noticed they also had the mini set of the new Sheer Tint top coats in stock. I didn't pick them up at the time, but the more I thought about it (and the more videos I watched about them) the more I wanted them. So I went back a second time and picked them up!
I figured the minis were a good way to go since you get all four colors for about $13 (otherwise they're $9 each for the full size bottles) and it would be an inexpensive way to play around with them. These are definitely very interesting; they're very sheer (since they're just supposed to be tinted top coats), but you can layer then in so many ways. Merle Norman even had a special printout that showed you how to do some things like ombres and color changes.
Here they are with two coats over a white base. Left to right are I'm Never Amberrassed, I Can Teal You Like Me, Be Magentale With Me, and Don't Violet Me Down. I really love the soft, watercolor look you get when you layer these over another color.
This is two coats by themselves. The pictures don't really show the subtle differences, but you get a more jelly-like hard candy type of look. There are so many different things you can do with these; I'm excited ti play around with them!

I also stopped by the Sephora in JCPenney one day on my way to the bus stop (it's very dangerous for my wallet to have my bus stop attached to the mall...) just to look at the clearence and ended up buying more than I intended to...
I got this on sale! It was about half off at $5.99 and there were a few other colors available. From the few polishes I've tried, I really like the Formula X for Sephora brand (though my base coat's brush came detached from the cap so now it's kind of annoying to use) and I really wanted to get one of the "graffiti" effect top coats. This is Crash and it's such a wonderful bright blue!
The far left is two coats of Crash and you can see the cool effect it makes! I actually layered it over the super bright pink next to it (Cameo 18 by Rainbow Honey) and it looked awesome. I kind of want to get another one, but I didn't really like any of the colors that were on sale (there was a yellow, a green, a red, an orange, and a darker blue). There is a black and blue one I really want, but it's full price and I really shouldn't be buying any more nail polish...

And then I saw this and, well...
I'm such a sucker for these Sephora Favorites kits and I couldn't resist getting a Sephora in JCP exclusive one! I'm pretty sure you can't find these online and that you have to get them from the store itself, which makes them feel a little more "rare". This set also differs from the Summer Stash you can get at the regular Sephora; it's $3 less, has a benefit They're Real mascara instead of a Marc Jacobs one, it has a Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal instead of a Buxon Illuminator, and it doesn't have the jelly blush. I already own the full size of the blush and I would much rather have the Becca Skin Perfector than the Buxom one. I did a more in depth review of this on Youtube, and I'll make a separate post about it here so I don't take up too much room in this post.

I got brave this time and actually asked the lady checking me out if I could get some free samples. She said she only had fragrance samples, but I said that was fine, anything would be nice, so I ended up with a sample of the new Dolce and Gabbana perfume, Dolce!
It's just one of those standard little glass vials, but I thought the box was cute!

Also in my mall, and thus also on my way to the bus stop, we have a Bath and Body Works. And I happened to have a coupon for a free item worth up to $12.50 with a $10 purchase. So I took advantage of it.
 I got all three body mist minis from the new(ish, there's a newer one now) collection! I had bought the Morocco perfume when they were offering it for cheap as a little teaser, so I knew I would like the mist, but I was curious about the other two. I really like the Tokyo one, too, but I haven't used the London one yet since I'm afraid I won't like it (I'm not a big fan of tulips or how raspberries smell). These three only cost me $12, so if I don't like it, no big deal.
This is what I got for free! I wanted to get the body mist, but I keep forgetting that the mists are a little more expensive than the lotions and body washes, so they don't work for the promotion. I grabbed the lotion because I needed to make a quick decision (I didn't want to miss my bus) and while I do like the summery coconut scent, it smells a lot like my sister does, as weird as that sounds (she tans a lot and those tanning lotions always seem to smell like coconut). I didn't really want to smell like that, so I ended up just giving it to my mom and/or sister. I don't really care, though, since it was free and I'm happy with my mists.

 And now for a couple one-offs!
I've been visiting my Ulta an awful lot lately since I'm on a few beauty "quests", and this was one of them! This is the OPI Glitter Off base coat. It works the same way the Elmer's glue base DIY base coat thing does; it dries in a way that you can just peel it off without having to use remover, making glitter polish removal soooo much easier. I've had a hard time finding this, but I spotted one (the last one!) at my Ulta and I snapped it up. They haven't gotten any more in since so I'm very happy I was able to get my hands on it. I'm pretty sure this will become easier to find as the summer goes on, but I'm glad to have it now.

I also got another $10 off promo coupon for Kohls for some reason! I have no idea why I get these or what prompts Kohls to send them to me, but I like to use them to buy cheap clothes and/or makeup.
I picked up another plaid button up shirt, since I was so happy with the other one I got. I also only paid $0.80 for this and I think it's a nice, springy version of the other one. It's made out of a lightweight fabric so it's not as warm, but I really like the pastel colors. Also it was only $0.80, so, can't really go wrong with that.

And then I got more My Little Pony Blind Bags. I can't remember if I posted these once already; I have so many of these now I can't even keep track...
I love this super sparkly collection, and I was very, very happy with the ones I got this time! My husband and I are getting very good at guessing what's inside a blind bag and I was able to get Princess Twilight Sparkle by feel alone. I also got a majestic boy-pony and a pretty purple/blue pony.
And then I got more! Because sparkles! I don't know why I keep buying these, honestly. I don't do anything with them except display them on my bookshelf (and my doubles keep me company at work). I keep telling myself I can give them to my future children when they're old enough to not try and eat them.

And that's my haul! I'm really excited about all the nail polish I got! I'm definitely a nail polish junkie, but there are so many colors and textures out there...I want them all!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment