Sunday, May 18, 2014

Big Ulta Haul! - Love Your Hair Event!

Hello! Hope you're doing well! It's Sunday night and that time of the week that always feels a little depressing, especially if you work a regular Mon-Fri job. When I was little, I hated Sunday nights; I always tried to squeeze as much fun out of them as I could since I had to go back to school on Monday. That feeling has stuck with me, even when I was working in retail and Sunday nights didn't always mean I had work the next day. It's hard to explain, but it just feels like everything I do, no matter how productive or fun or important is a waste of my last few hours of "freedom".

Huh, I didn't mean to start this on such a depressing note! This is actually a very exciting post (though I suppose I'm pretty excited in all of them...) since this is my biggest Ulta haul to date! This month, starting on the 11th, they are having their Love Your Hair event; there are a bunch of great deals on hair care and there's a special sample/hair caddy set you can get for $5.99 with any $35 or more hair care purchase. I was happy to see I could still get the deal if I shopped online since I wasn't sure when I'd be able to get to my Ulta, nor was I confidant they would have what I wanted in stock.
Seriously, this box is huge! My shipping info said it was just under 10lbs. 10lbs of hair care goodies.
I've never gotten such a big box before from a beauty store; I was actually really surprised since I didn't think I had order that much. I'm pretty used to places like Sephora using much bigger boxes than necessary and then stuffing them with kraft paper, but this box was pretty full.
Here's a shot without all the bubble stuff. My box was super beat up and was pretty much already open, but everything was there and it all arrived safe and sound.
I got a few extras with my order! I got another Love Your Hair event catalog (though the coupon kind of sucks; instead of the usual $3.50 off a $10 purchase, you get 20% off one item, regular exclusions apply.), an info card about the Jack Black product line, and a little sample of a Versace fragrance for men (I think the French translates to "fresh water". Probably).
When you pick what samples you want, you get to chose between a fragrance sampler pack, a skin care sampler pack, or a variety sampler pack (unlike Sephora, where you get to pick all three of your samples from a select group). I always go with the variety set since, well, I like variety! This time all three samples were hair care related. I've gotten two of these before (the Biolage shampoo and conditioner duo and the Agava oil) but I really liked them so I'm happy to get more! The hair towelette is new and intriguing and I'm curious to give it a try.
This was one of the things I really wanted to pick up that I was afraid my Ulta would be sold out of. This is a "Love Your Hair" kit and it includes deluxe sample sizes of seven different products (hence the "seven steps to fabulous hair" tagline). This kit was only $10, which I thought was a great deal and a great way to try out some new products.
This is the back (on the left) and the inside flap (on the right) that talks about each of the seven products you get. Pretty excited to give all of these products a try, except for the Marc Anthony Oil of Morocco Argan Oil Deep Hydrating Conditioning Treatment since, you know, me and argan oil don't get along. I really like how there are two products for dealing with frizz, since frizzy hair is my life and my curse.
I got another can of KMS California Hair Stay Style Boost since my other one is almost out. I really like this stuff; I think it really does make the rest of my hair care products perform better and hold a style better. I use this as you would a hair primer; it's the first thing that touches my hair after a shower. It's a little pricey, but it does last me a long time so I think it's worth it.
I decided to try something new! I thought about picking up another back up of my holy grail conditioner, the Ouidad Balancing Rinse Essential Daily Conditioner, but I really wanted to give some other brands a try to see if there might be something better out there for me. I've heard a lot of good things about this brand and product and figured why not! Also you got a lot of free stuff with a $25 Carol's Daughter purchase...
This is the back of the box; it just talks a little more about the ingredients and what they can do for your hair. I'm pretty excited to try this out, just for the scent alone. I love the smell of monoi oil; I think my favorite floral scent ever (well, top three; Freesia and Jasmin are also pretty awesome) is Tiare flower, and that's what monoi oil is made out of! Since this kit was $26 I got...
All these for free! I doubled the amount of shampoo and conditioner, plus I got another conditioner to try! It's for frizzy hair, which, once again, is probably my biggest hair issue (I have dry, fine, curly hair. Yay).

Since I hit the $35 mark for haircare, I was able to add the hair caddy and sample set to my cart for just $5.99.
The caddy was listed as a $25 value, though I'm not sure I would pay that for it. It is a very nice caddy, though; it's big and sturdy and will hold a ton of stuff! If you live in a dorm (or some place similar), this would be a great way to store and tote your haircare products. The caddy was nice, but what I was really interested in was...
The sample set! This was listed as being a $20, but I definitely got more than that! At first I was disappointed; in the promo picture it showed an It's A 10 spray and I really wanted to give it a try, but I think what I got instead is even better! In the sampler set I got a deluxe sized sample of the Living Proof Perfect Hair Day, a deluxe sized sample of Pureology Color Stylist hairspay, some foil packets of Redkin Color Extend Magnetics shampoo and conditioner, and a full size (!!!) Q10 Plus BC Bonacure Time Restore Satin Spray Conditioner. I was checking it out online and it's worth $23! Pretty excited to see if it works.

I also picked up some non-hair things as well, but they're a little less exciting. Covergirl/Olay was having a promo (actually I think they still are. I know the hair thing is going on all month, or as long as supplies last) where, if you bought $15 worth of products, you got a makeup bag with some products for free! the listed value of the bag was $25, so I figured why not? This was a very "yolo" order...
This is what I decided on for my $15 purchase (it was actually $18 but this was as close as I could get). I'm going to need a day eye cream soon (I'm still using the Ole Henriksen night one) and I've never really tried drugstore skin care products before. I'm not too happy that this has parabens in it, but I'll give it a try and if I don't like it, not a big deal.
And this is what I got for free! I thought the bag was super cute; I love the combo of pink and gold. It's a pretty standard quality bag, comparable to an Ipsy bag. The only sad thing is that there were a couple black smudges on the back of it that I can't get off.

Inside the bag, you got two full sized products and two sad, little foil packets.
Seriously, look at how sad and small that are; they're one-time use packets, which isn't a very good way to sample skincare. You really need a week or two to judge if it's something that will work with your skin.
One of the free products was the new Covergirl Bombshell mascara! I've heard that this mascara is pretty awful; the tube is gigantic and not very portable and the formula sucks. Which is probably why Covergirl is giving it away for free. But now I get to try it without spending money, so that's fun!

And this was the other free product! I'm pretty sure this is full sized; it's the same size as the eye cream anyways. This is the Olay Fresh Effects Dew Over gel moisturizer, which will be interesting to try. Again, I don't like some of the ingredients, but since it was free, I can give it to my mom or something if I end up really not liking it and not feel wasteful.

And that's my whole haul! In total, I only spent about $60 for everything here, due to a combination of some good deals and my accrued reward points. I actually really like the Ulta rewards system; I do like being able to spend my points on deluxe sized samples/kits at Sephora, but I also like the fact that my points become money I can spend on anything I want. I used to really not like Ulta, but the more I shop there, the more I realize it's a good partner to Sephora, especially when it comes to getting drugstore products and salon hair care.

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment