Sunday, April 13, 2014

Springtime Haul! - Sephora, Ulta, MAC, and More!

Hello! Yes, I am making another post today, though this will probably be the last! I got a lot of things to post about at once this month, and I really, really don't want to fall behind so I'm just trying to power through! I realize I've been post quite a few hauls lately, but I've had some extra cash from the convention and there are some great, new products that I wanted to try!

This post is going to be the Round 2 shopping spree with my 15% Sephora VIB Rouge coupon, a couple things from Ulta, one product from MAC, and then a couple random things, including some stuff I bought at the convention.
Sexy shopping bag shot!
I'll start with...what I got at the convention! Surprisingly, I didn't spend very much money (and no where near what my husband spent. He loves grab bags so he bought a whole bunch. We got some neat stuff in them, so I think they were worth it); I'm at the point where I know where to get pretty much everything I want online and, even with shipping costs, it would be less expensive than buying it at the convention (for example, there was a Nendoroid figure that I wanted that I can find online for $40-50 and they wanted $80 for it!). I did buy a few more things than the three I'm going to show here, but they were little buttons and some candy so I didn't get any pictures of them.
From the Artist Alley, where I was selling my stuff, I picked up these two prints! I was exploring the room since I needed to get up and walk around for a little bit and I spotted these at a table. I thought they were so creepy and cute, especially the cat, and they were only $3 each! I'm going to frame these and hang them up somewhere.
Also from the Artist Alley (from the person with the table next to me!) I got these cool, steampunk earrings! I thought the keys were super cute and I like supporting fellow artists so I bought them. I was worried they'd be too long for me, but they actually look really elegant! I wanted to tell the artist how much I liked them, but she didn't come back for Sunday so I never got to even say goodbye. I tried to find her online but so far I haven't had any luck.

On to my discount-fueled shopping spree!

 As you can see in my opening shot, I have two Sephora bags! I went to my big Sephora and, since what I had wanted was sold out (even though the website said it was in stock), I bought some other things that I didn't intend to buy. The website also said that the product I wanted (unnecessary mystery!) was at the Sephora in JCPenney, so I went there as well. AND IT WAS THERE! And there was also a bunch of cool stuff on sale!

At my big Sephora, I got two things, plus a 100-point reward!
Now, the last two things I need more of are nail polish and lip products. So I go and buy a lip and nail set! This cute set just came out (it had come out the day I bought it) and it has three matching pairs of nail polish and lip products. I wanted to try a Deborah Lippmann nail polish but didn't really want to pay full price for a full bottle ($18 is kind of pushing it) and since I loved the purple in this set, I decided to go for it! It also helped that I had 15% off... I do think this set is worth $25, especially if the colors appeal to you, though I have to say, while the Nails Inc polish is gorgeous color, it sucks. I really don't like Nails Inc as a whole so I was a little worried about getting this set since it featured one, but the color was so pretty I had to try it. Like the other Nails Inc polishes I've had, this one is gloopy and thick and it doesn't apply evenly and it's just...not worth the money. I'm going to have to find this shade of purple in another brand. I wonder if Zoya has something...
These are the swatches of the polishes; from left to right is Formula X in Invincible, Deborah Lippmann in Girls Just Want to Have Fun (the name of this color bugs me. I can't explain why), and Nails Inc in Devonshire Row.
And these are the lip products! Left to right: Bite Beauty Lush Fruit Lip Gloss in (what I assume) Strangefruit, Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss in Child (another weird name), and tarte Lipsurgence Lip Tint in Elite. All beautiful colors and all fantastic lip products!

I got another Jack Black lip balm! I really like this lip balm, but I'm not a huge fan of the Grapefruit and Ginger flavor I have. I did get a Shea butter and vitamin E one, which is basically unflavored, and I've been very happy with that, so I thought I'd try another flavor! When I got my Grapefruit and Ginger one, I was debating between that and the Black Tea and Blackberry flavor. Besides the Shea butter and vitamin E, this is the only other flavor I think I'd find appealing (the lemon and chamomile will have same citrus problem as the grapefruit and ginger one and I don't like mint so the "original" scent is a no go. I might like the vanilla and lavender one, but I tend to not like lavender scented things so that one's a toss up). This lip balm is a little on the expensive side at $7.50 a tube, and it does have parabens in it which sucks, but they feel so nice on my lips that I think they're worth it.

With all the shopping I've been doing (...don't judge. I can't resist a 15% off multi-use coupon), I figured I could afford to pick up another 100-point reward. I was interested in trying the new Benefit Big Easy foundation, but the sample bottle was so teeny tiny that I'm pretty sure I'd only get one or two uses out of it. For 100-points, it didn't seem worth it. So I went with a deluxe sample of the Alterna CC Caviar Cream!
I've used Alterna products in the past and liked them (though I think I've found better products since then for my grouchy hair) and this product sounded interesting. It's supposed to do 10 different things (kind of like the "It's A 10" stuff) and you can use it on damp or dry hair. It has a standard "fancy hair care product" smell and I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Now to what I got at the Sephora in JCP! I'll start with what I went to Sephora for in the first place:
Yes! This is the Color of the Year Rush Luster Cheek Sweep Palette! When this palette first came out, I wasn't too interested in it since I thought I had enough cheek products. After I saw a live swatch video by Allura Beauty, I fell in love and realized that my blush/bronzer/highlighter wardrobe needed an update. Unfortunately, like the limited edition Hourglass palette, I realized I wanted after it all sold out. I was going to pick it up at the VIB Rouge Spring Social, but they were out of stock. I figured it was no big deal since I could just get it online and shipping would be free because of my VIB Rouge status. And it was sold out there, too. Now that I couldn't easily get it, I needed it even more! I signed up for an e-mail alert when it came back in stock online, but I was worried that the 15% off discount would expire before then. On a whim, I decided to check if it was in stock in any of the Sephoras near me. AND IT WAS. It was supposedly in stock in both the big Sephora and the Sephora in JCP in my mall. Obviously it wasn't in stock in the big Sephora (I feel so lied to), but it was there at the JCP one! At first I couldn't find it and I was upset but then some purple caught my eye and I found a couple hiding at the very bottom of a display!
I really like the packaging; it's very lux feeling. There's a clear plastic sleeve and the palette itself sits in this foam-like material.
The palette itself is very sleek and compact; I like the minimalist look.
You get three colors in this palatte: Bridal Rose, which is like a shimmery pink highlighter/blush, Spanish Villa, which is a gold shimmery highlight, and Radiant Orchid, a subtly shimmery purple blush in the color of the year.
Ah, it's so pretty! I don't know why I didn't see it before. Sorry that my palette looks a little touched; I swatched it before this picture because I couldn't wait.
This isn't the best swatch, but I think it shows off the true color of the Radiant Orchid blush. The top peachy color is Bridal Rose, the gold middle color you can barely see if Spanish Villa, and the purple is (obviously) Radiant Orchid. These blushes/highlighters are very pigmented and smooth; a little goes a long way!

I also hit up the sale section, and boy am I glad I did! Because it was nail polish-palooza! I got three Ciate nail polish kits for $7 each (they're originally $25 each so that is a good deal, even without the extra 15% off I had) and a Formula X polish for super cheap.
I got this Formula X nail polish ornament (the color is Out Of Sight) for only $4! This is a full size and yeah, it's kind of old and from the holidays, but since this was originally $14, $4 is an amazing price.

I've never tried any Ciate polishes before, so I was really excited to see a bunch of their kits on sale! I got a couple full size polishes, some minis, and a few different top coats!
This is the feathered manicure set!
In this kit you get a bunch of feathers, a scissors for trimming, some buffing blocks, a mini in the color Chinchilla, and a full size of the quick dry top coat.
This is the chalkboard set! I was really excited to find this set on sale; I actually considered purchasing this when it was full price but I never did.
In this kit you get a full sized bottle of the chalkboard nail polish (it's like a matte black), a full bottle of the matte top coat, and four liquid chalk pens! I think this is such a unique and cool idea; this is the only brand I've heard of that's come out with a polish kit like this.
Finally, I got the Corrupted Neon Manicure set in pink! The box was really beat up and haphazardly taped together, but everything was intact and new-looking, so hey, no bigs. They also had this kit in orange, but I don't think orange looks very good with my skintone.
In this kit you get a full size bottle of polish in Electronica, a full sized bottle of neon glitter in Shout Out, and a mini of the black light top coat. I mostly bought this kit for the top coat, but I'm glad to get the polish and glitter along with it!
Swatches! Left to right: Formula X in Out of Sight, Ciate's Chinchilla, chalkboard polish, and Electronica. I was surprised by how much I liked Chinchilla; I normally don't like grey polish, but it has this really pretty soft blue undertone! I also really like the Out of Sight top coat, but we all know I have an addiction to sparkly polish...

And that's what I got from Sephora! It was definitely a bit more than I normally spend, but I had the extra cash, a 15% off coupon, and I found some amazing deals! Next I'll do...Ulta!

I only got three things from Ulta this time around. I had a 20% off coupon, so I decided to drop the cash for the Too Faced Bonjour Soleil bronzer palette!
There's a lot of videos on Youtube about this palette, including swatches, so I'm not going to go in too much detail, but this is an awesome bronzer palette!
I like the full color photos on the back of the box! When I first saw reviews of this, I was on the fence about it. I have a couple bronzers already that I hardly use, but the more I watched, the more I needed this! I wanted to update my blush/bronzer wardrobe and figured this would be a quick and easy way to get a variety of bronzers.
It comes in a metal case similar to the Chocolate Bar palette (actually, it seems like all of Too Faced's palettes are coming in metal tins now. Is that just a summer thing or something they're going to do all the time now?), and I think it has a similar problem with the weak magnetic latch. I might keep the box around for travel like I did with the Chocolate Bar palette.
Close-up! In this palette you get the Chocolate Soleil matte bronzer (which smells like chocolate and is amazing; I had a little compact of this before and I loved it), the Sun Bunny natural bronzer (it has a bit of shimmer to it and you get two colors you can use separately or blend together), and the Snow Bunny illuminating bronzer (which is shimmery as well! You get four stripes of color; you can blend them together or use them separately, so you definitely have a lot of options!).
Here they are swatched on the back of my hand. ...my swatches aren't very good so I do recommend checking out some videos on Youtube to really experience the beauty of these bronzers. The top (barely visible) color is the Chocolate Soleil, the middle is the two colors of Sun Bunny mixed together, and the bottom is the four colors of Snow Bunny mixed together. You also get a "teddy bear hair" (synthetic) blush/bronzer brush in this kit. I already have a similar brush from Too Faced that I got ages ago and it's still just as soft and wonderful as the day I got it!

One thing I like about Too Faced palettes is that they include these little Glamour Guides to help get your creativity going.
In this guide, you get three different contouring/highlighting/bronzing looks you can try!
Very easy to follow and understand, if a little creepy looking!

The other two things I got from Ulta are kind of boring, so I do apologize in advance.
I got the Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer spray because I've heard good things about it on Youtube and I've been looking for a good heat protectant spray. I'm trying to figure out how to make my hair look pretty all the time, and I've been experimenting with heat styling. My hair is naturally dry and frizzy and overall just grumpy, so it doesn't take much to damage it. Hopefully, by using a heat protectant spray, I'll stop my hair from looking fried and gross.
I also grabbed these Yes to Blueberries Cleansing Facial Towlettes on impulse while I was waiting to checkout (the lady in front of me kept talking to the poor cashier. She kept trying to bow gracefully out of the conversation, but the customer wouldn't let her. I know how that feels and it is just the worst. You can't win, either; you either make the person talking to you mad because you're dodging the conversation or you make the person waiting in line mad because they think you're wasting their time). I tried the Yes to Cucumbers wipes because people seem to love those, but I ended up really not liking them. At all. I think I just hate the smell of cucumbers, so I'm hoping these will be different (since they smell like blueberries, presumably).

And that's what I got from Ulta! Short and sweet, but totally worth it!

I also picked up one item from MAC, finally using up the $100 Macy's gift card I got for Christmas.
I'm trying to slowly expand my MAC collection by picking and choosing some of the more highly recommended products of theirs. A lot of people talk about the Mineralize Skin Finishes and say they're really good, so I thought I'd try one out for myself! I ended up going with the color Medium, which kind of surprised me (normally I'm on the light side of things). The MAC lady said I could wear either Light Plus or Medium, but Light Plus was a little too yellow in my opinion, so I went with Medium (also, Light Plus was sold out, so my decision was basically made for me). I hope this isn't too dark for me, but it seems really light for a color called "Medium", so I think I'll be okay, especially with summer coming up.
I tried swatching it on the back of my hand, but it blended in pretty well and I'm not sure you'll be able to see it (which is a good thing).

Finally, I got some hair stuff from Forever 21!
I wanted to get some plain, thicker headbands, but they're kind of expensive at Target (it's like $8 for two and while that's not ridiculous, it's more than I want to pay for headbands). Forever 21 is the best place to get cheap hair stuff like headbands and hair ties and I was able to get these four headbands for $2! (They're 2 for $1). They're not the best quality, but they're soft and stretchy and they keep my hair back so yay!
And I got more of these hair ties! I love this style of hair tie; I think it's the gentlest on my hair. Admittedly, the ones from Forever 21 stretch out really quickly and you have to throw them away after about a month, but it's $2.80 for five so no bigs! Also, look at the cute, spring colors!

AND THAT'S EVERYTHING. Whew, that was a long haul (haha, I make pun)! If you read all the way through, kudos to you! I don't think I'll have a haul this big any time soon (at least, my wallet hopes so...), but it was fun getting some things I really wanted!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment