Sunday, April 27, 2014

Mini Haul! - Ulta, Sally's, Kohl's, Target, and More!

Hello! Hope you guys are doing well! It's been raining like crazy today; our patio started leaking and the courtyard of our apartment is now a shallow lake. Awesome. I think I like snow more than rain, but I hate being cold. If it could be summer and snow instead of rain, that would be perfect. Well, we all can dream...

Anywho! Yes, I have another haul for you guys! I'm in that weird lull where I don't have any subscription boxes to unbox nor is it time for my favorites (which I only make videos for; I don't post them in my blog because I'm lazy and don't want my Youtube channel and blog to line up exactly).

Onward to the material possessions!
I'll try and go in chronological order, but I'm not sure how successful I will be since this was a couple weeks ago and my memory isn't the best.

This is Ad-Man! It's a type of card game; this was actually made (designed and illustrated and all that good stuff) by my co-worker's boyfriend!
I love weird games like this, and I think this is especially special since it was made by someone I (sort of) know! He was able to get production funded by Kickstarter and he even has some stocked in my local comic and game store. There are a few expansion packs you can get with different mascots as well; I'm especially interested in getting the Elder Gods set, because Cthulhu.

Continuing with the more nontraditional haul items (meaning non-beauty items since this blog has organically becoming beauty-centric), I got some more ponies.
I haven't had to buy these full-sized ponies for a while now; they've just been re-releasing the "Mane Six" for a few cycles now. I had overlooked this newest series (even though the rainbow theme is kind of cool), but as I was looking for My Little Pony blind bags, I noticed that the Twilight Sparkle was updated to be (spoiler alert!) Princess Twilight Sparkle! I figured she counted as a "new" pony so I picked her up; Target had a buy one get one 50% so I got the rainbow Rarity because she's my favorite out of the Mane Six.
And these are the blind bags I ended up with! I was a little disappointed in who I got; this is the only series where I wanted to get Rainbow Dash since she's rainbow-fied and looks cool, but it was not meant to be.
I also picked up the Great Gatsby Deluxe Edition CD at Target, since apparently this was an exclusive release for Target. Not sure how it compares to the other versions since I haven't looked into things, but I think this just has some extra tracks of dialogue. I'm a big fan of Baz Luhrmann movies (especially Romeo and Juliette) and was excited when I first heard about this movie. Unfortunately, I ended up never getting around to seeing it in theaters (I am very bad about seeing movies), but I really wanted to get the soundtrack. The music is pretty interesting and has a lot of variety; overall it's a good CD. Not amazing, but worth getting.
This is also from Target, though I got it during a different shopping trip than the other items (we go to Target a lot...). It was in the little kids' section, but I thought it was super cute, especially with all the hearts and pink. It was also 20%, so it was only $8 so...I had to get it! I got an XL and it fits pretty perfectly.

Now to Kohl's! Or, at least, what I got from there. I don't normally like to shop at Kohl's because I think they are overpriced and not the best quality (especially for what you pay). However, every now and then I get a coupon/gift card in the mail good for $10 off any $10 or more purchase. I used to get Monster High dolls or Littlest Pet Shop figures with them, but the toy selection at Kohl's has dropped dramatically (at the one nearest me, anyways). I started checking out the sale/clearance racks in the clothing sections and have managed to get some pretty good stuff for very, very cheap!
This is not something I would normally buy, but for some reason, when I saw it, I had to have it. It's a very, very soft button up shirt with fuchsia, navy, and yellow plaid. It's lightweight so I thought it would be great for layering in the summer. I wanted to get a size bigger (this is a juniors small) but this was the only one I could find in the clearance section. After my $10 coupon/gift card, I only paid $0.80. Neat!

My Ulta is pretty much right next to Kohl's (there's a Noodles and Co. and a Lane Byrant in between), and since they were having some great deals on some drugstore brands, I thought I'd check them out. I was also looking for the Nicole by OPI Roughles and the peel-off base coat from OPI which is apparently impossible to find. Unfortunately I didn't find either, but I did get some good stuff!
I just wanted to get the boring thing out of the way first. Yup, this is another bottle of my Ouidad Balancing Rinse Essential Daily Conditioner. I get one pretty much every time I got to Ulta.
Less boring things! This is an original Maybelline Baby Lips in Peach Kiss. I've tried the Baby Lips before, but I didn't like them! I think it might have been because I got one from the electric/neon collection and really didn't like the color and less because I didn't like the product itself. Maybelline was one of the brands that was 40% off, so I figured it was a good time to try it out again.
I attempted to swatch it on the back of my hand, and I can see it because I know where it is, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to. It's the shiny part under the knuckle of my index finger. Since the color is so sheer and neutral, I'm hoping it won't interfere with my opinion of this product.
I also got another Maybelline mascara! This time, I got the Mega Plush mascara in brownish black. I've really been loving my cat eye mascara and been having a love-hate relationship with my Rocket, so I figured I'd give another formula/brush a try! I have really long lashes, but they're a little sparse so I really need a volumizing mascara over a lengthening one. I haven't tried this yet since I already have a couple mascaras open, but I do look forward to it.
Physicians Formula is a drugstore brand I've been interested in trying, but have never been able to bring myself to buy from since it's one of the most expensive brands in the drugstore! Since it was one of the 40% off brands, I figured it was now or never! This is the Happy Booster blush in natural; this blush is originally $11, which is crazy for a drugstore product. I'm not sure how I feel about the claims that it was make me happy due to magic chemicals, but the hearts were cute!
It also came with this super pink brush! It looks kind of...cheap (and I'm pretty sure it's not very good) with the super saturated colors, but I suppose it's the thought that counts.
And this is another poor attempt at swatching! I used a brush and I built up a few layers and it still ended up being pretty sheer. Which is actually okay since I tend to be a little heavy handed with blush and usually end up having to go back and "tone it down" by layering some powder on top. Hopefully, since this is on the sheerer side, I won't have to!

In my romp through beauty-land, I also made a stop at Sally Beauty Supply! It's right at my bus stop on the way home, so it's quite convenient! I used to shop there more, but I kind of stopped since I got upset with their membership service. The membership itself is fine, but I'm pretty sure they sold my phone number to a telemarketing list since, a few days after I first signed up, I started to get a bunch of unsolicited texts and phone calls. My husband had to call our phone provider to put a block on the texts, and I ended up putting myself on the national Do Not Call list (which I probably should have done sooner, anyways). All of a sudden, I can't stay away from there! I think it's because they started carrying OPI and I've been itching to branch out and play around more with my hair. My membership was up this month and, if I renewed in the month of April, I would get up $7.99 of Ion or Silk (I think) products for free! And I would get the $5 off your next purchase coupon! Yes!
I ended up buying this mostly just to make a purchase because I felt weird just renewing my membership without buying anything (I don't know, I'm weird about these things), but I do want to give more nail polish removers a try. So far, I've really only used four (the Sephora by OPI, the Sephora Express one (it's in a red bottle), Zoya Remove+, and the Julep one) and while I have a favorite, I can't get it anymore (and I won't stop complaining about it...) so I might as well try to find a new one. So far, I really like Zoya's Remove+, but it can't hurt to keep looking.
Since I could get any product from Ion up to $7.99, I pretty much could buy anything I wanted. I went with this since I like giving other hair products a try; I have some tried-and-true products that I always keep coming back to, but they are on the expensive side so if I can find something that performs just as well but is cheaper, all the better! I like using gel since I like the hold it gives, and I like spray on formulas since I feel like they give a lighter, but more even, coverage. This was less than $6 so if it works, that will be awesome.
The lady who checked me out said that since the product I picked out was less than the $7.99 maximum, I could get a hair mask as well! I normally don't like hair masks, but free is free! There were a few options, but I went with this one because it doesn't have argan oil and because I felt like sticking with the Ion brand.

And finally, I got something from China! Off eBay! Mmm, legit.
So this funky looking tool is a hair removal device! These are pretty common in Asia and are used to groom facial hair. It's like a giant, tightly-wound spring with plastic handles. You roll it on your face where you have unwanted hair and then you twist the ends in opposite directions. The hair gets pulled en mass (which is kind of a gross sounding visual), saving you time and pain! Ulta has one of these by Tweezerman online, but it's $20 which is...pretty expensive. It's more than I want to pay, at least. I was talking to my mom about it and she said she was actually interested in getting one, too, and that she had found some on eBay for $1, free shipping! They were shipping from China, so it would take a few weeks for them to arrive, but she said she'd order me one as well. I'm on the fence about this one; for a $1, it's alright. It's a little flimsy and cheap feeling, and I can't help but be paranoid that I'm getting some horrible kind of lead poisoning (I rubbed it down with alcohol because germaphobe), but then again, it was a $1 and I don't really think the Tweezerman one is worth $20. Even $10 would be pushing it. I used it a little and it seems to do its job, but I'll have to keep trying it to really see.

And that's it for this haul! Hope you enjoyed it!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment