Wednesday, April 23, 2014

April 2014 Ipsy Bag - Beauty Rocks! - Unbagging and Review!

Hello! Hope you're all doing well! Today is one of those rainy, dreary spring kind of days, but I don't want to complain too much since it's not snowing and it's not too terribly cold (I was able to walk home from work sans gloves and scarf and it wasn't all that bad. My hands and nose got a little red, but that's all). Hopefully this means we've tipped over to spring and are finally out of winter, but with Minnesota, you can never be sure (at least not until the middle of May)!

For this post, I want to show you guys what I got in my April 2014 Ipsy bag! If you're at all interested, I really do recommend giving Ipsy a try; it's only $10 a month and you generally get a good amount of nice stuff!

What surprises can be found in my pink bubble mailer this month?
Every month, along with four to five deluxe sample sized/full sized products, you get a different make-up bag! Most of these are quite cute and, while I don't really have a need for a different make-up bag every month, I like to collect them! This month, the theme was "Beauty Rocks", which I assume is meant to go hand in hand with all the music festivals going on.
Personally, this isn't my favorite bag I've gotten from Ipsy, but I do like that it's a unique shape (it's a square instead of the more "traditional" rectangle shape) and that it has an artificial "worn in" look to it.
You also get an "info" card every month with a graphic that shows off the theme on the front...
and that lists the brands featured that month on the back. Ever since I started with Ipsy, they've been running a promotion where, if you post a picture of your bag along with the goodies you got, you could win a free year of Ipsy. Which is pretty neat (though surprisingly I've never entered...). Admittedly, the "info" card doesn't really have any info besides what the theme is and what brands you could get, but since Ipsy lists everything on their website in your own personal space called your "Glam Room", it's not a big deal.

This month we got five products! Last month I was a little disappointed to see that we only got four and I was slightly worried that that was going to become the norm, but it doesn't seem so. I'll start with the product listed first in my Glam Room:
This is a Tinted Lip Balm by Cailyn.
It's kind of neat since you get a brush tucked away in the cap! It is a little bulky and awkward to travel with, though. You could have gotten one of two colors: Apple Pink or Acid Pink. I'm really happy I ended up with Apple Pink since I think it's a much more wearable color for me.
Swatch! The lighting got kind of intense and weird, so you can see the gross texture of my hand, but color-wise, it's pretty accurate. This product apparently has a "3D Smart Film" former...thing, which makes it super long-lasting and moisturizing. I haven't tried it out yet, but I do prefer lip products that are long wearing since I seem to barely even get an hours wear out most of them. I'm also not sure if this is the full size of this product or not; it looks the same as it does on the Cailyn website, but it looks like there might be more lip balm (though I wouldn't call this a balm) in the full size. The full size is $19, but I don't really know how much this sample (if it is indeed a sample) is worth.

One thing that I really like about Ipsy is that they have a good mix of drug store and high-end products. Case in point, I got something from Urban Decay in my bag!
This is a little promo booklet for Urban Decay's new 24/7 Velvet Glide-On Eye Pencil.
I think that this is supposed to be a softer, more "smokey-eye friendly" version of UD's 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils. Everyone got the color Black Velvet, and I think that's the only color it currently comes in.
I'm not sure how this pencil compares with Zero since I don't own it, but compared with Perversion, it's definitely a lot...fuzzier? Not sure how to explain it.
I kind of wish I had a picture of Black Velvet and Perversion side by side, but I think this swatch still shows how it's more of softer, fuzzier kind of black, if that makes sense.
This is a pretty good sized sample; it's 0.03oz, whereas a full size 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil is 0.04oz. I believe this is considered a "travel size" and that UB has sold sets of pencils in a similar size. The full size sells for $20, which apparently makes this travel size worth $15. I feel like my math got screwed up somewhere, though, since that seems like a lot for a pencil this size, even if it is Urban Decay.

Next I got something kind of interesting:
This is the City Color White Gold Highlight and Shadow Mousse. This is the first product I've ever gotten from City Color, which I believe is a drugstore brand.
Here you can get a better view of what the product looks like. In the pot, it looks a lot more white than gold, and it almost looks like it could be a powder. Until you stick your finger in it. It has a very weird texture; it's definitely more "mousse" than "cream", but I don't know if I would call it a "mousse"; it's a little stiffer, less...I don't know! It's hard to explain.


 Big, shiny swatch! I used waaaaay too much product here; a little goes a long way!



This is the first mousse-consistency make-up product I've ever used, so maybe I'm just not used to this type of texture before. This product is petrolatum, preservative, and mineral oil-free, which is especially nice for a drugstore brand. This is the full size and it retails for $3.99.


Another high-end product sample I got this month was the Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion skin exfoliant.
As you know, I'm a big fan of exfoliants and, since I already know and love Dr. Brandt's products, I was pretty excited to get this! Not too much to say about this one; it's a skin exfoliant that you use 1-2 times a week and it's safe for all skin types.  I like getting these types of samples since skin care products can be such a hug investment. The full size of this is $78 for 2oz, making this 0.25oz sample worth $9.75, which is crazy!

Finally, I got a travel-sized sample of Big Sexy Hair Root Plump Volumizing Spray Mousse.
I recently got my hair cut and had a bunch of layers added in order to avoid the curly-haired girl's nightmare: Mushroom Head. I need more volume at my roots and less at my end, so I'm interested in giving this type of product a try. What's interesting is that this is a spray-on that turns into a mousse! I haven't used it yet, but I have seen it used in Youtube videos and it looks pretty cool. You can use this on damp or dry hair (damp for volume, dry for texture) and it's for fine/medium hair types, like mine! A full size is 10.6oz for $17.95, so this 1.6oz travel size is worth $2.70.

And that was my April 2014 Ipsy bag! Overall, I got five products; one is full sized, one is possibly full sized, two are travel sized, and one is deluxe sample sized. The total value of my bag, minus the lip balm, is $31.44, which is super awesome, considering how I only spent $10 for this bag, shipping included! I know I say it all the time, but seriously, if you have any interesting in beauty products what-so-ever, and you have $10 you can spare a month, sign up for Ipsy!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment