Friday, March 7, 2014

Ipsy February 2014 - Unboxing and Review!

Hello! So...I'm pretty over winter, how about you guys? I'm just so sick of below 0°F temperatures (not just below freezing, but more than 32°F below zero) and snow and horrible icy, dangerous roads. I know I haven't posted in a very long time, and I do apologize. I've been in the grip of winter blahs and had to make a business trip to New Jersey for two days. I have a lot of videos, too, that I need to be making, but I need to wait for when my husband is at work since I'm oddly self-conscious about making videos in front of real people. Weird, I know.

But enough about my boring, ice-rimed life! This post is about my Ipsy bag for February 2014! I was pretty excited for this bag; not because of what I could have possibly gotten in it (I never look at the spoilers, I want to be completely surprised. Especially since I can't change what I get anyways so what's the point; I feel like you only end up disappointed if you don't get what you were hoping for) but because it's the bag for February! Which means Valentines! And pink! And hearts! And all that silly mushy stuff that people on Facebook like to posts statuses about and how much they hate it and that it's all commercialized garbage. Which it is. But who cares? PINK! HEARTS! CANDY!
Did my bag live up to my expectations? Let's find out!
The quick overview of Ipsy: it's a $10 monthly subscription where you get 5 deluxe/travel-sized and/or full-sized makeup/skin care/hair care samples in a makeup bag delivered to your door! I've been an ipsy subscriber for a while now and I feel like it's been worth my money every single month. It's a fun, inexpensive way to get a surprise every month! If you're into beauty products and want to explore beauty subscription services, I highly suggest you check it out.

As I said, I was pretty excited for this month's bag because I was hoping it would be love/Valentine's Day themed.
The info card was a good start! The theme of February's bag was "The Look of Love" with some interesting heart-shaped lip graphics. Admittedly, themes don't really mean much when it comes to subscription boxes; the only company who has themes and actually adheres to them that I've seen is Julep. From my experience, even if a box has a theme, that doesn't mean the products in the box will have anything to do with it (see my Glossybox reviews).
Once again you can win a year of Ipsy for free is you post a picture of your bag and its contents and all the brands you could have gotten a product from are listed on the bottom. Ipsy is one of the bags that doesn't list any product info on the included card, though they provide you with info and links in your GlamRoom on the site. A lot of the brands seem to have products every month, though there were some interesting ones this time, like Skyn Iceland. I really like the mix of brands; there is a mix of high-end and drugstore brands, as well as brands I am familiar with and brands I've never heard of before.

This month I was a little disappointed with the bag.
When I first saw it, I thought it was pretty boring. The other bags I've gotten have had interesting patterns or textures, but this was just a plain, pink bag (though it is pink!).
The inside, however, somewhat made up for the boring outside! I love the pink leopard print and I was sad it wasn't the pattern on the outside. Overall, it's still cute, but it's like a secret cute.

So what was inside? I ended up with five products (like usual); three were full-sized and two were deluxe sample-sized. Only one product was really disappointing, which is where I'll start so we can end on a positive note!
This is the Jesse's Girl 9 Pan Eyeshadow Compact in Behind Blue Eyes. You could have gotten 1 of 4 different color sets: Brown Eyed Girl (a collection of browns and creams), Behind Blue Eyes (blues, whites, and silvers), Tickled Pink (pinks and purples), or The Eyes Have It (greens, blues, and browns).
Here's the compact open; you can see all 9 shades, the double-ended sponge tip applicator (which was interesting to me; I've never seen an applicator like it before. Than again, I don't buy a lot of drugstore eyeshadow), and the green sweatshirt I was wearing.
And here's the back, which explains why this was this most disappointing product for me. I don't have anything against drugstore makeup, and I know there are some really good eyeshadows out there, but I personally don't feel comfortable using a product full of talc, mineral oil, and parabens. I also really didn't like how the shadows felt when I swatched them.
The light colors might be hard to see here because I am so pale and the sunlight was so bright, but I also feel like the pigmentation wasn't the best for the lighter colors. I did like the pigmentation in the darker colors, but, like I said, this is a formula I don't really feel comfortable using, especially since I have so many other shadows from different companies. This is a full-sized product with a value of $3.99.

I'll continue moving up the ladder of "how much I liked a product"; these next two are pretty tied so in no particular order...
This is a deluxe-sized sample of Uberliss Rituoil hair oil. I like hair oils and serums; really anything that promises to make my hair look nice (though usually they fail. I have...difficult hair) that's not a mask. Unfortunately, this does have argan oil in it (argan and orchid oils to be exact) but I'm going to try it since I haven't reacted too badly to argan oil hair products (besides straight argan oil which I just can't deal with). This is specifically meant as a heat protectant when drying and straightening your hair, but I feel like it can used as a regular hair oil. Also I do want to try and curl my second day hair so this will come in handy. A full size of this product is 60mL for $19.90, making this 10mL sample worth $3.30.

And this...
is a Mally Beauty Evercolor Starlight Waterproof Eyeliner in the color Starshine. Everyone who got this product got the same color, a very metallic silver.
This photo is a little washed out, but I wanted to show how shiny it was. I've heard a lot of good things about Mally products and, having never tried one myself, was excited to get one. However, this is the second silver liner I've gotten in an Ipsy bag and, to be honest, I rarely, if ever, reach for them. I do like this one a lot more than the Starlooks liner I received, but it feels like getting a duplicate product. This liner comes in 19 shades, so I'm not sure why they went with this one (probably an overstock issue). This is a full sized product and is worth $15. Not too shabby.

Finally, these next two products were my favorites from this months bag.
This is a deluxe-sized sample of Pop Beauty's Plump Pout in the color Peony Petal. Normally I don't like Pop Beauty; they walk a fine line between drugstore and high-end makeup and not in a good way (drugstore quality for a higher price), but this lip gloss is actually really nice. You could have gotten one of two colors, a fuchsia called "Fuchsia Freeze" and this color, "Peony Petal". I've very happy I got Peony Petal; I'm not sure I can pull off fuchsia. This is supposed to be a combination of a gloss and a stain and is full of peptides, avocado oil, and jojoba oil. I really like the texture of this gloss and I love the color.
As you can see, it's really pigmented! It's almost like a liquid lipstick, but I feel like it's a little more watery, but in a good way. The full size of this retails for $16; I couldn't get an accurate value since I couldn't find a weight/volume measurement, but I'm calling it about a $5 value.

Now for my favorite product from this months bag! Can you guess what it is?
Nail polish! From Zoya! In full size! And from their new(ish) collection! Yes, this is a full-sized polish in the color Odette from Zoya's recent Naturals line. I believe everyone got one of two Zoya polishes in their bags this month, the other being the color Dot, from the Spring 2014 line. I think I would have preferred Dot since it's a very pretty pale pink, but Odette is a lovely color as well.
It's a nice, dusty, mauvey kind of purple; I've noticed that I'm really drawn to purple/blue/green colored polishes. As I said, this is a full-sized product (it even came with a box!) and it is worth $9 (which I think means Zoya polishes have gone up in price; I believe they used to be $8, $9 for Pixie Dusts).

And that's my Ipsy bag for February 2014! Overall I got five products, three were full-sized, two were deluxe sample sized with a total value of $36.29. I was very pleased with this bag; there was only one product that I found really disappointing, but everything else I can definitely get some use out of. As always, if you're interested in subscription services, I highly recommend checking out Ipsy!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment