Saturday, November 2, 2013

October 2013 Blush Mystery Beauty Box - Unboxing and Review!

I made a promise to myself that I would get this posted while it was still October, thus making it still relevant. If you look at the date of this post, you'll see that it is, in fact, Nov. 2nd and I unfortunately didn't meet my goal. However, as long as I get this up before the November 2013 Beauty Box ships, I'll be happy! I was charged for it on the 1st, so I'm assuming it's going to ship out sometime next week, therefore, I'm pretty confident that I'll get this up in time. On a side note, it's NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)! This month, a lot of people will be trying to knock out an entire 50,000 word novel! In a month. I've tried the last couple years, but I kind of give up, so to speak, about halfway through. Not sure if it's a problem of motivation or lack of writing ability or what, but I'm not sure I'm cut out to write a novel in one month. We'll see if I try this year; I know it's already two days in and I haven't started, so I better decide soon!

But that's not why you're reading this post! You're reading it to see what kind of goodies I got in my October 2013 Blush Mystery Beauty Box!
Mysterious!
As always with Blush Mystery Boxes, you get two free samples with your order! This month I got:
Another bottle of Dremu Oil, which is a serum made of 100% emu oil. It has a lot of beauty claims and basically touts itself as the greatest thing ever, but I'm not sure if it's all that amazing. I used my other bottle consistently for about a week and a half and didn't really notice any difference. I know with skin care products it can take months for anything noticeable to happen, but I feel like other products I've used perform better and faster. This product is pretty expensive, too, at $149 for 2oz. Not something I can, at this point anyways, recommend.
And this is my other sample, a foil packet of Specific Beauty's Night Treatment Complex. It's basically just a retinol night treatment with niacinamide, linolecic acid, and licorice.
Uh, this isn't really helpful anymore since it was only good until Oct. 31st, but you could have gotten 20% off of Specific Beauty products by using the code SPECIFIC.
I also got a little advertisement for Personal Microdermabrasion Device (which I assume is what the "PMD" stands for) which also has a 20% off coupon that was only good until the 31st, unfortunately.

As always, Blush included a card detailing all the items in the box, including one full side dedicated to this months featured product: the Chella Skin Care Highlighter Pencil in Ivory Lace.
I've seen this pencil in a couple other subscription boxes/bags and was curious to try it out, so I'm really happy it was included in this months box! It's a pretty standard highlighting pencil and is especially useful for detail highlighting such as around brows and lips. One thing I didn't realize is that this actually comes in two other colors, latte and cinnamon. I always assumed it was just the one color since that's all I've ever seen people talk about. While this is the perfect color for me, I can see people with darker, more olive skin tones maybe having an issue using this product, which is something that is a bit of a theme with this box (color mismatching, I mean). This is the full size and it's worth $18.
And here's the back of the card showing the other seven products in the box this month. Like usual, I'll go through each individually in the order they are on the card. Which means I'll start with the butter London nail polish.

So this is a full sized butter London nail polish in the color "Kerfuffle". This is the second (third? I know I got the LVX polish in a Blushy Box, but I'm trying to remember if I got another one. I know they had a Deborah Lippmann polish in the box right before I subscribed...maybe that's what I'm thinking of) polish I've gotten in a Blush Box, but since I'm such a nail polish junkie that is definitely a good thing. This is from the spring 2013 Sweetie Shop collection, so it is an out of season polish, but I don't care since this was a color I had thought about picking up anyways. I like pastels and I don't really adhere to "seasonal" colors. This color is described as an "opaque pink-coral cream" and is worth $15.

Next is the Karin Herzog Vitamin H Cream.
Not sure how closely you looked at the info card up there, but you may have noticed that there is actually a different product listed. On the card, it says I should have gotten a sample of Karin Herzog Vita-A-Kombi 1, which is obviously not what I got. Not sure if they ran out of the sample on the card and had to substitute (it's the same brand at least) or what, but I thought it was a little weird. Not too sure how I feel about this product; it says it has a "blend of botanical ingredients" which sounds kind of sketchy and it has vitamin H (I assume that it's a "real" vitamin, but I never heard of it before, at least that I can remember) to correct rosacea, psoriasis, and eczema. It's also bright yellow. This is another pretty spendy product with a lot of claims at $63 for 1.73oz, making this 0.1oz sample worth $3.64.

Up next is another full sized product, a Mirabella Mineral Highlighting Powder.
You could get one of three colors: Glowing Coral, Shimmer Rose, or Latte Swirl. I ended up with Latte Swirl, which is a "light mocha shade". When I first opened this, I was a little disappointed in the color I received. I feel like one of the other two colors would match my fair/light skin much better and that this would end up being too brown for me. I like when subscription boxes give out different colors, but I wish they'd pay more attention to the beauty profiles they make you fill out when choosing them. I mean, why have us tell them our skin/eye/hair color if they're not even going to look at it or us it to help pick out the best shades for you? After trying this product out on my skin, I do feel a little better about being able to work with it, but I still feel one of the other colors would have suited me better. This product is worth $38, so that's pretty awesome.

Another product that I generally liked but had some color issues with was the Myface Cosmetics Lip Pop Gloss.
This was before I opened it, so it still has its sexy barcode on. This was another product that had four different shades you could get. I ended up with shade 234, which, according to the internet, is "Hot Stuff" (I couldn't find a color name on the packaging anywhere, so I'm not 100% sure). This feels like a pretty nice gloss; not too sticky, good color, no weird smell or taste, but again, I just don't know about the color. Myface Lip Pop Glosses are labeled by which type of skin tone they best suit, and as you can see, this color is best for "medium" skin tones. Which I am not. Once again, why would Blush have me fill out a beauty profile if they're not really going to care? Admittedly, they probably just make these boxes in advance and send them out randomly, so it's not like they're specifically trying to give me wrong colored products, but it is a little frustrating. "Hot Stuff" is described as a "warm, muted rosy pink" and I personally think it might be a little too red for me. I might try layering it to see if that increases its wearability. This product is worth $18.

Unfortunately, this next product was kind of a disppointment.
This is a full size tube of Theraplex FT Exfoliating Emollient. And yes, this is another foot cream. This box feels like it has a lot of repeats from last months box, which isn't always a bad thing (especially if you like the types of products. I could get a nail polish every single box and be pleased as punch.) but in this case, it is. I feel like the other cream we got from Amlactin is far superior to this one. This cream doesn't have any preservatives or parabens which is nice, but it has a petroleum-based, er, base and it has peppermint. As I said before, I really dislike peppermint scented foot creams (one of the reasons why the Amlactin cream is better is because it's unscented). It's more of a personal preference thing, so someone who doesn't mind or even likes peppermint scented creams may really like this product. It also has salicyclic acid to help slough off dead skin and it did come sealed, which is nice, especially since it's preservative free. I haven't unseald it to see (smell, I suppose) how strong the peppermint is since I'm going to give away to someone. This product is worth $15.

This next product is definitely the most interesting out of the bunch.
This is a deluxe sample size of Talika Lipocils Expert, a lash enhancing serum. This product claims to help "create full, lush lashes without side effects" and it has "highly active natural ingredients to stimulate healthy, longer-looking (emphasis mine) lashes while enhancing color and curl". "Natural ingredients" is one of those new(ish) buzz words in the beauty industry; people associate "natural" with "healthy" and "safe" which isn't always true (and yes, I do fall into the trap of "natural" quite often). I'm pretty skeptical about this product as well, though there are a lot of products available now, even in the drug store, that claim to help your lashes look longer and thicker and they do work somewhat, so I'm pretty sure this will improve the look of your lashes, just maybe not as dramatically as you'd hope. I'm curious as to how it darkens your lashes, though I think it might be like a dye or something (the gel stuff does have a kind of amber/brownish tint to it). As you can see on the box, the applicator is kind of cool and unique; it's like a regular mascara wand, but it has a sponge tip. You use the tip to spread the product along your lash line, then run it through with the wand. Pretty neat, actually! Unfortunately, this little sample only has the sponge tip.
Even though I don't plan on using this product, it would have been nice if they could have made the applicator like it is on the full size. According to a clinical study, this product showed improvement in peoples lashes in as little as 28 days, so if you want better looking lashes in a month, I'd say give this product a try. Otherwise, there's always Latisse (which kind of scares me since one of the side effects is that it can cause brown spots to form in your iris...). The full size of this product is $57 for 0.33oz, making this 0.07oz sample worth $11.40.

And now for the final product!
This is Miracle Skin Transformer Face SPF 20 in Medium. There's a lot of other words on the tube, but that's what it's called on the card so that's what I'm going with. I also read that they've been changing their packaging so I don't know if this is what it looks like now. As you can see, my poor tube got all messed up somehow. This was the first thing I pulled out of my bag when I first got it and I was worried, but then everything else was safe and sound so I think the damage happened before it was packed in my box. This product comes in 6 different colors (though everyone got Medium in their boxes; this is another color mismatch product. I feel better that everyone got the same color, but this color certainly won't work for everyone. I think it's just a little too dark for me. It was sealed so I didn't test it in the video, but I decided to unseal it and try it out after discovering my skin tone might not be what I think it is, and while it blends in better than I expected, I still think it's off), has vitamin E for hydration, Saw Palmetto for skin conditioning, and Physalis Angulata extract (derived from a plant in the Brazilian Rain Forest) which is an anti-inflammatory that helps soften skin. I do like that this product came sealed, and it even has an expiration date stamped on it (08/15) so I know how long it's good for.  A full size is 1.7fl oz for $48, making this 0.17fl oz sample worth $4.80.

Here's some swatches of the Chella highlighter, the Myface lip gloss, and the Mirabella powder (in that order):
 The highlighter seems a lot peachier in real life, though it looks pretty ivory here. The lip gloss color is pretty accurate, though it does come across redder on my lips since they are so red to begin with. As you can see, the powder is actually quite pretty and isn't too brown, which pleasantly surprised me.

Overall, not the most exciting of boxes. Out of the 8 products, 5 were full sized and only 3 were deluxe/travel sized, so that was nice, and the total value of the products in my box were $124, which is definitely not bad at all, especially since I only paid $24.95 for it, including shipping. The biggest disappointment with this box would be the lack of color-matching for my skin tone (especially since, like I said, you do fill out a beauty profile so it's not like they don't know) and some "repeat" products like the foot cream. Do I still think the box is worth being subscribed to? Yes, definitely. If you're interested in signing up, I suggest you do so quickly since November's box apparently has a value of $252, the highest they've ever had...which is pretty awesome and now I can't wait to get it!

Thanks for reading! <3!

No comments:

Post a Comment