Thursday, October 31, 2013

October 2013 Julep Maven Box - It Girl - Unboxing and Review!

Hello! I...I have no idea why it's taken me this long to post this. I got this early October (I've actually forgotten exactly when) and now it's the 31st and my November Maven box will be here tomorrow. Sometimes I feel like I actively avoid posting on here and I have no idea why. I think part of it is that I don't feel like I have the production values I want (I don't have the best pictures or that nice of a layout...well, any real layout for that matter) and sometimes I wonder if it's even worth keeping up my blog if I'm not going to put any time into it to make it look presentable. I feel like I've been neglecting a lot of areas in my life lately, and I think it's because of my job. It's not particularly hard or demanding or anything, but 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with early mornings is surprisingly draining for me. I definitely suffering from that "twenty-something" syndrome; people of my generation are now supposed to be adults and do adult things like have careers and houses and families, but we just can't seem to get the hang of being grown-ups. It's weird and sort of depressing, but at least I'm not alone.

...so, on that semi-depressing note, let's get to my box!
Yay, candy corn!!
This month's collection was called The Rebel Set and featured polishes with a bit of an edge to them. Julep also introduced two new products: the Noir Face Mask and a double-ended Kajal Eye Glider (an eye pencil). I wanted to try the mask, but it only came in the Modern Beauty box and was a little pricey as an add-on so I unfortunately was unable to get it. I also have waaaaaay too many eyeliners, and rarely ever use them since I much prefer using eye shadow as liner, so I decided to do something different and pick up the It Girl box this month. I generally avoid getting the It Girl box because it always feels like it's less of a value than the other boxes; two polishes and one product tend to be worth more than just three polishes. I debated for a while between getting the Bombshell box, since I really wanted Cleopatra, and adding on the polishes I liked, or getting the It Girl box and adding on to that. It ended up being less expensive to go with the It Girl box and add on to it, and I also didn't have to get an eye pencil I would probably never use, so that's what I went with! As you can see from the picture above, the special treat this month was a bag of candy corn!
Julep also included ingredient and allergy info, which is nice (but I think they're legally obligated to do that).
The quote this month was from Joan Jett, arguably one of the greatest female rebels, though I'm not sure that this is the most interesting thing she's ever said.
And these are my five polishes, wrapped up nice and snug! I'm not a big fan of this new packaging; it looks nice and professional, but I don't think it keeps the polishes very safe. I've gotten a few now that have been dinged up during shipping. I miss the bubblewrap and clear rubberbands. I also don't like how the polishes are no longer sealed. The box of three are the ones included in the It Girl box and the other two are my add-ons (one of which may be one of my favorite polishes ever).
All lined up and pretty! From top to bottom I got Ciara, Kendra, Missy, Casper, and Cleopatra.
Ciara is a "vampy magenta with teal microglitter". I thought this polish was so cool looking and it seemed like it was pretty unique as well. It looks more blue in the bottle, but it swatches more magenta with a subtle blue shimmer.
This is Kendra, an "army green frost". I wasn't too sure about this color; it isn't something I'm normally drawn to. When I saw the swatches online I wasn't too impressed, but in person this ended up being a pretty color!
Missy is described as a "titanium metallic" and boy is it ever! This was another polish that really caught my eye; it's so shimmery and silver and will be great for the winter.
This little beauty is Casper and yes, it really does glow in the dark! Julep calls this a "glow-in-the-dark shimmer" and says that it "can be worn alone or–better yet–on top of color". I thought this wouldn't be very powerful and wouldn't look nice but I was wrong! It glows very brightly (if you let it "charge" enough, it works like any other glow-in-the-dark product) and, even without the glowing aspect, this is just a pretty topcoat! It has a very soft shimmer to it. I wore it over Zoya's Neely (I was trying to go for a zombie look) and it was GORGEOUS. I was super excited to get this polish!
Finally, this is Cleopatra, a "black latex crème". There's no actual latex in the formula (which is good because I'm allergic to it) but it's basically a solid black polish that dries matte. I'm kind of a sucker for these special texture polishes (even though I do own Julep's matte top coat so I can matte down any polish I own) so I needed this one. Plus, I really like that it's called "Cleopatra", and we all know how easily I'm suckered in by names.

Since this was my third Maven box in a row, I was able to pick out a polish for free! It could be any polish I wanted, which was pretty awesome. After much deliberation, I went with Ginger.
It came in it's own little box and everything. Ginger is a "sand holographic" and I picked it because a. it was a full price polish and I wanted to get the most bang for my buck, and b. I liked the holographic finish it had. I feel like I moving back towards neutrals; when I first started getting into nail polish, I played it safe and stuck with neutrals, then, as time went on, I found myself drawn to more unique colors. I'm not sure why, really. Maybe it's the change in season, maybe I'm getting a little...burnt out on nail polish. I'll be curious to see what I'm drawn to as winter really hits us.
And here's everything swatched! Going from left to right, Ginger is the one to the right of Kerfuffle (the pink), followed by Ciara, Missy, Kendra, Casper, and finally Cleopatra.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this box. I feel like I made the best choice when it came to the colors I got and I especially love Casper!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment