Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Itty Bitty Sephora Haul

Hello! I always feel bad calling these little purchases hauls, but I feel like that's become the common way to refer to any kind of purchase you share on a blog/vlog, regardless of size. I've seen "haul" videos where people only get a bunch free samples. I've also seen hauls that probably total $1000+, but those are mostly from professional artists who go crazy at MAC. Is there a "legal" definition of the word "haul"? Is it how much you buy? How much you spend? You could get 20 items from ELF for less than $30 and call it a haul, but what if you bought a $400 hair removal device? Is that still a haul? Does it even matter? Probably not.

Now that I've gone on a weird tangent about hauls, let's get to the meat of this post: my recent, teeny little haul from Sephora! Almost every time I go into Sephora I end up buying something, even if I don't need anything. It's a sickness. I usually don't go too crazy (though there have been times where I just say "screw it" and grab the things that catch my eye), and so my purchases are one, maybe two items. I don't feel like these really warrant a video (it would be like 2 minutes long and wouldn't be informative at all), but I still like to share my thoughts and experiences with the products I try. I could do a collective video (and I'm going to start trying to do monthly "hits and misses"; I have a nail polish one in the works!), but by the time I build up enough stuff, I start forgetting details.

On my most recent trip into Sephora, I bought some pretty random things...
Still trying to get the hang of using these jump cuts. I think they definitely improve the readability of my blog, but I feel like I need to make awkward little "break jokes" or cliff hangers, like the one I just did!

Anyways, I actually ended up visiting two different Sephoras, and buying items from both. At my mall (the close one, not the huge one) there are two Sephoras: the main stand alone store and the one in JCPenny's (who is now referring to themselves as JCP to sound classier). I like visiting both since the one in JCP has more stuff in the sale section and it sometimes will have items in stock that the big Sephora is all sold out of. I usually stop by the JCP Sephora since it's closer to the entrance I tend to use the most.

As you may or may not know, Sephora is basically having a fire sale on their "Sephora by OPI" line since they're replacing it/dropping it (I think the "X" line is what's taking over, but I'm not totally sure. I haven't really been following it beyond how cheap I can get the polish...last time I checked you could get 3 bottles for $10). I do like the Sephora by OPI polishes, but what I am most sad to see go is the Sephora by OPI polish remover. It's my favorite polish remover; it takes off polish quickly and I really like the smell (it's like black licorice). I've been trying to buy as much of it as I can, but it's always sold out, presumably since everyone else loves it, too. Also it's half off. Lucky for me, the JCP Sephora had a bottle in stock!
So I bought it. I just finished my last bottle, so I was super happy they had some in stock. I also have their "express" nail polish remover (this one here: http://www.sephora.com/express-nail-polish-remover-P276333?skuId=1258441 ), but I don't like it as much as this one. I've also tried butter London's Powder Room remover, but I really hate the smell of it. I'm not sure what I'm going to use when they finally stop carrying this, but until then, I'm not going to worry about it.

I decided to push my luck and headed to the main Sephora store to see if they had any of the remover in stock (they never do, I don't know why I keep checking). This was during the SkinIQ event where, if you did this special product match quiz and got a sample of a product it matched you with, you could get an extra 100 Beauty Insider points with any purchase. Which is awesome since that's $100 you don't have to spend to get a free deluxe sample (...when I say it like that it sounds kind of...sad). I have the hardest time finding skin care products that I really feel work for me and, unfortunately, the products it matched me with didn't work (I got two because the associate who helped me wanted me to try a product that the quiz didn't match me with because she thought it would help). While I was messing around in the skin care section, a special deal caught my eye.
Not sure if you can see it in the picture without making it bigger, but the little silver circle sticker states that if you buy the cleanser at regular price ($38 for this size...which is kind of intense. I usually use the FAB Facial Cleanser which is only $20) you get a deluxe sample size of the Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream. I'm not satisfied with my current face lotion (FAB's Daily Face Cream) since it leaves my face sticky and greasy feeling so I've been poking around trying to find something new. One thing that kind of sucks about skincare products is that they tend to be a lot more expensive than make-up products and they're a little more difficult to try out without having to really commit (if that makes sense). I've used this face cream in the past and really liked how it made my skin feel, but I've only had it in foil packets so I never got more than a week's worth of use out of it. To be honest, I'm not really sure why I splurged on this. I mean, I know I was really influenced by the "free" deluxe sample of face cream, but $38 for a face cleanser is ridiculous, even for me. It's an incredibly gentle formula and you can use it on your eyes (which is nice; I don't like having to use two different cleansers for my eyes and face), but it's not that great at removing waterproof mascara. I like that it doesn't irritate my skin at all (I have stupidly sensitive skin on my face; the FAB face cleanser is one of the only other cleansers I've found that won't irritate me. Even the gel cleanser that came with my Clarisonic irritated my skin and caused me to break out...) and it smells really fresh and clean because of the cucumber extract in it (there's also rosewater, but it doesn't smell "rosey" to me at all, which is also awesome because I hate rose scents). It works okay when I use it with my Clarisonic, but when I only use my hands, I think it might be too gentle, if such a thing is possible.

As for the face lotion, I was already pretty sure I liked it since I've used it a few times before, but I do kind of wish the pot was a little bigger. The full size 1.7oz jar sells for $42, making this little 0.5oz guy worth about $12, to give you an idea of the size difference. This lotion also smells like cucumbers, which is nice (it makes it smell very "spa-ish"). It has more ingredients and more chemicals in it than the FAB Daily Face Cream, which is unfortunate, but it hasn't made me break out or anything. I'm not sure if I will buy the full size when I run out of this little jar. In all likelihood, I will not. Not because it's a bad cream, but it's pretty expensive and I haven't seen or felt much of a difference.

Before this cleanser/lotion duo caught my eye, the purchase I was going to make to get my extra 100 points was this exfoliating mitt. It was on sale!
 Hmm, not sure how helpful this photo is since it's a little hard to read the writing on it. My camera gets grumpy every now and then and just...will refuse to take a good photo. It's very touchy when it comes to lighting. My scrubbie mitt came in this box, touting all its special "innovations". I think there is something special with the fabric that helps it dry quickly. It's originally priced at $12, but you can pick it up for $5 right now, which is pretty reasonable for a scrub mitt.
It's dual sided; one's supposed to be for your face and one for your body. This is the face side! It's pretty soft, but since I already use a Clarisonic, I don't use it since I don't want to double exfoliate (too much exfoliation is just as bad as not exfoliating at all).
This is the body side! It's a lot rougher than the face side, but it still feels pretty gentle. It doesn't make my skin red when I use it, but it still feels like I'm exfoliating, so I think it's in the happy middle of roughness. I much prefer using scrub mitts over towels since I feel like I have more control. I also like how there's a hole for your thumb on both sides since it makes switching hands super easy and less awkward.

Finally, I decided to pick up a 100 point reward since I was earning an extra 100 points anyways!
Ugh, this bottle would not photograph nicely, no matter how hard I tried. This is a deluxe sized sample of Lancome's Visionnaire Advanced Skin Corrector. I've seen some people talk about this on Youtube and I've been interested in trying it out, but it is very expensive so I haven't been able to. Until now! This is an anti-aging correcting serum that helps with wrinkles, acne marks, and pores. It has this special molecule thing called "LR 2412" that's supposed to help make your skin just amazing. I've only used this a few times, but it was when my skin was being super grumpy so I'm not sure whether or not I like this yet (I've been letting it calm down before I try anything new again).

And that's my whole, itty bitty Sephora haul! I didn't buy a lot, but apparently I have a lot to say about it!

Thanks for reading! <3!

No comments:

Post a Comment