Saturday, August 17, 2013

Glossybox July 2013 - Unboxing and First Impressions

Hello! Goodness, it's been a while! I'm even starting to fall behind on my videos (which I usually get up pretty quickly since I can't wait to use things). I've been dealing with some health things which have been slowing me down, but that's not what I'm here to talk about (nor likely what you're here to read about). This post is going to be all about my July 2013 Glossybox and my thoughts on the items inside.
Let's see what's inside...
Here's the first look! Apparently, the theme for this month's box was "Le Grand Bleu", or items based on the sea/water/the beach. I'm not going to lie, I pretty much ignore Glossybox themes now since the products inside rarely seem to fit. There's never a feeling of cohesiveness or even of a theme at all. Sometimes I think Glossybox just picks something that sounds nice and runs with it. It's not that a theme is really all that important for a subscription box, it's when you make one up without really thinking about the types of products you include.

Here's a look at what's inside the info card as well as the coupon included in this box (I'm pretty sure there's at least one coupon in each box). This one is for 30% off an Evologie Value Set, Evologie being one of the brands featured in this month's box. This coupon actually seems like it might be a decent deal, which is nice. I'll show the products in the order they go on the card since it's easy to stay organized that way. Also, since it's been so long since I first opened this box, I may have forgotten some things, so I do recommend you watch the video. You may also notice that there is no Glossymag again. I think they're going to continue posting it online instead of including a printed version in the box. I'm okay with this since I don't really like the magazine anyway and this way Glossybox saves money and trees.
Based on the info card, I'm going to start with the Brazilian Blowout Acai Deep Conditioning Masque. This is a hair mask that you're supposed to use once a week to help keep your hair shiny, smooth, and frizz-free. I do have frizzy, dry hair so I'm interested to see how this will work for me (I haven't actually tried most of these products yet...). It doesn't really have a smell beyond "generic hair product" which I appreciate since the smell of a product can really make or break it for me (I have this amazing leave-in conditioner but it smells awful which makes me not want to use it). One thing that amuses me is that, on the back, it says "For Professional Use Only". The full 240ml size retails for $40, which makes this worth $5.
Next we have the Bvlgari "Eau Parfumee au the Blanc" shampoo and shower gel. This was the most disappointing item in this month's box (which says a lot since this box was pretty disappointing overall). These types of items really don't appeal to me; I'm not really into "fine fragrances" since I find them boring and generic smelling; if you've smelled one fancy perfume, you've smelled most of them. A "fine fragrance" shower gel is especially lame since these tend to feel like...throwaway items. I don't there's anyone ever who goes out of their way to pick up a fine fragrance shower gel; they always get them in those "high value" gift sets. Fine fragrance shower gels just feel like a way for companies to pad out the value of their gift sets to sucker people in to buying them for others. To me, this item feels like it has no value and like it was just thrown in to pad out the value of the box (which it needs, as you will see). Scent-wise, this is more of a fresh fragrance and, while it's not unpleasant, it's nothing special. It has a top note of Artemesia, middle notes of white tea, and low notes of musk. A full 6.8oz size sells for $42.00 (which I find kind of shocking), making this sample worth $6.18.
This is what I supposed could be called the "featured" product, since it's from the brand the coupon is for. I've never heard of "Evologie" before, and looking at their website it seems like they're a skincare brand focused on acne, sort of like Proactiv except not a subscription and you can buy products individually. The photo is kind of blurry (it was annoyingly difficult to photograph...), but this is a sample of the Intensive Blemish Serum. After washing your face, you're supposed to apply this directly to any blemishes (followed up by their face cream, of course). At first I was kind of leery of this product, but according to the site this is not tested on animals, hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, oil-free, alcohol-free, and non-drying which makes me a little more interested in trying it out. Since I do suffer from acne (it seems to come in cycles), I'll get some use out of this. The full 15ml size retails for $35, making this sample worth $11.67 and the sample with the highest value in this box.
And we come to my favorite item in this month's box: Figs & Rouge's Cherry Blossom Tinted Lip Balm Tube! From the UK, this is a "100% pure", petroleum-free lip balm with a cherry-ish flavor (there's a hint of cherry, but it's not a syrupy sweet Bonnebell or Lip Smackers type of cherry; it's still fun but it's a little more..."grown-up"). It looks like a really bright, hot pink/fuchsia in the tube, but it applies pretty sheer leaving just a pink wash on your lips. It feels very moisturizing, but not as much as my Fortune Cookie Soap lip balm (which is still my favorite). My only complaint about this product is the tip of the tube; there's no doe-foot shaped tip or anything like that, it's just a regular screw-top which makes it awkward to apply if you want to use it straight out of the tube (which is the way you want to use a balm, right?). You could put it on your finger first, but I find that kind of gross, especially if you're out and about and don't have a way to wash your hands before you use it. This is a full size product and it has a value of $9.
Finally, this is the second most disappointing item in the July 2013 Glossybox: a Nails Inc. mini polish in the color "Baker Street". Right off the bat, why is this a mini polish? Glossybox has included full size nail polishes before (Sparitual and butter London, if I recall correctly), so why not now? Especially since Nails Inc. isn't even that high end of a polish at a price point of $9.50 for a full sized bottle, the same as OPI. Quality-wise, Nails Inc. is a brand I really dislike. I don't think their polishes are worth the price; they're streaky, require numerous coats, dry weird, chip easily...it really feels like it should be closer to $3 a bottle, if that. I do like blue polish, and this cobalt shade is super trendy right now, especially for eyeliners, but I just...do not like Nails Inc. polish. At all. Full size is $9.50 for 10ml, this sample is worth $3.80.
As you can see from the swatch, it's a very flat, average blue. It's nice, but I would have preferred a different brand.
Glossybox did something a little different this month and included a sixth, "bonus" sample. These are Nicka K New York brand Absolute! Make-Up Cleansing Tissues. This is the second product I've gotten from this brand in a Glossybox, and while I like this product a lot more than the other (the rose-scented perfume) and can see myself at least trying it out, I'm just not a fan of this brand. It doesn't feel like a high-end brand (if you check out their website, they sell their products for very little; like ELF or Wet and Wild price level) and one of the big draws that Glossybox has for me is that they are supposed to include only high-end products. I am interested in trying out different make-up wipes (I have used the Target brand ones, but they made my face feel weird and filmy and they didn't really remove my make-up) so I will give these a try, but I won't ever buy a full size unless they are absolutely amazing. I do really want to pick up some wipes from the "Yes to..." lines since I've heard they're pretty good, so maybe I'll pick some of those up and compare the two. It's nice that Glossybox threw in a "bonus", but it really feels like they added this in to pad the value of the box. It's $6.99 for a pack of 60 sheets, making this 10 sheet pack worth $1.17. Also these have parabens, which is another strike against them.

Overall, this was another disappointing box. I've already been charged for my August box and I'm waiting for it to ship out, but after it does, I'm unsubscribing from Glossybox. I had high hopes for it; I signed up after watching a lot of unboxings on Youtube of past boxes and thinking "yes, I want all those things", but out of the last five boxes, I've only really liked two of them. Even though every box has had products worth over the price I paid ($21), I just don't feel like I'm spending my money smartly. I actually just signed up for the blush.com Mystery Bag since, for just $4 more, I can get a bag every month with a guaranteed $100 worth of products. I'm sad I missed the July bag since it had a full size Deborah Lippmann polish, but hopefully the August bag has some cool stuff in it as well. The featured product, a sea-salt hair spray, is not something I've very excited about, but it's only one out of eight products that will be in the bag. I can't wait to get it and show you guys what I got!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. We are excited for you to try EVOLOGIE - keep in touch about your progress. We hope you love us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After using the serum for a few days, I have to say, I'm pretty impressed!

      Delete