Saturday, August 10, 2013

August 2013 Julep Maven Box - Boho Glam - Unboxing and Review!

Hello! It's that time of the month again where I have a whole bunch to post about! It seems my Glossybox and Julep box always come within a few days of each other, and then the Secret Shop opens and since I don't get these up right away...well, I end up with a big pile of things to post!

This post is going to be all about my August 2013 Julep Maven box! The theme for this month was "Garden Party" and the new product is the Doublestep Foot Treatment and Friction Stick. I went with my original style, "Boho Glam", this month since it was the one that had the best colors, in my opinion. It's also the two year anniversary of the Julep Maven program, so Julep did some special things to celebrate, including releasing a new trio of polishes called the "Champagne Trio", which I added-on to my box.
Pretty, special box! Let's see what's inside...

Here it is open! Julep included a special message on the inside of the top thanking all their Mavens, which is very nice of them. You can also see the "Boho Glam" sticker and the pretty tissue paper they wrapped this month's box in. The sticker wasn't holding the tissue paper closed or anything, so I think it's there more to help Julep keep track of which boxes are which. I'm really digging this month's theme, especially the color palette Julep chose for the boxes. I just love minty blueish green!
This is what it looked like under the tissue. I had opened this before so it's not perfect, but it's pretty close to what it looked like originally.

Here is the special little gift quote for this month. Julep decided to stop including the style cards, which I think makes a lot of sense. They're cute and all, but I never keep mine for more than a month and, with all the boxes Julep sends out, that's a lot of wasted ink and paper. Not only will it save Julep money, but it was also be much better for the environment. I like that they still included the quote, though. I keep the ones I like the most in case I need a quick dose of "inspiration". I think my favorite quote so far is the one they had in July about salt water. The gift this month is a packet of forget-me-not seeds, which fit with the theme of the box beautifully. Unfortunately, I lack a green thumb (I can't seem to grow anything; everything I've tried has either not sprouted at all or molded. I think I have a tendency to over water plants...) so we'll see if I even try to plant these.

This new product Julep released in this month's Maven box is their Doublestep Foot Treatment and Friction Stick.
When Julep first revealed that this was their new product for the month, I was a little disappointed. I don't really do anything special for my feet (which I should! Not that they look unkempt or anything, but it would be nice to pamper them a little more) so I don't have any foot specific products, except for the scrub I got in my very first Julep Maven box. After thinking about it and reading more about the product, I realized that this is something that I can get a lot of use out of and that will be super helpful for my poor, neglected feet. So I was super excited when I finally got it! It's like a big chapstick for you're feet; it's a solid stick that you can rub on and then twist up when you need more. It has a very light pepperminty scent ( it's very refreshing and natural smelling; a lot of peppermint foot creams smell like candy canes which is kind of gross) and kind of tingles when you put it on. It has shea butter for hydration, vitamin E to help nourish skin, and chili oil to promote circulation (which is why it tingles!). It's also paraben and sulfate free, which is awesome. A great product so far (though I haven't tested its ability to prevent blisters) and I recommend giving it a try.

Next are the Boho Glam polishes I got: Francis and Lois.
Normally, I have a hard time deciding which box to go with since I'll like one or two polishes in each one. This month, I went right for Boho Glam and didn't look back. I love both of these colors individually, but also a duo. They also seemed to fit the "Garden Party" theme the best as well. The only other box that had a "Garden Party" feel to the colors was the Classic With a Twist, but they're both cream formulas and I prefer shimmer. I really didn't get "Garden Party" from the Bombshell or the It Girl boxes, which is weird since Julep is usually really good at keep things "in theme". Regardless of how I feel about the other boxes, I love these colors I got in mine! Lois (on top) is described as a "dusty rose frost" and it is just gorgeous. It's very soft and almost like a purple/taupey color with just a hint of rose. I also really love "dusty" or heathery colors like this; they feel so ethereal and graceful. Francis (on the bottom) is a "celery green crème". I thought this was such a unique color and a very pretty green at that! Most of the greens I've seen have either been super bright and neon or super deep and on the emerald/hunter, but this is a light, soft, almost pastel green, but without being minty. My only issue with it is that it's a little on the sheer side so it takes a least two, maybe even three coats to get an opaque finish.

Finally, I couldn't resist adding on the special Champagne Trio!
This trio of polishes was created to celebrate the 2 year anniversary of the Maven program! It has three brand new colors: Amity (friendship, a "white gold metallic"), Clio (celebration, a "silver, pink, and lavender multi-dimensional glitter"), and Reiko (gratitude, a "rose gold metallic"). I couldn't resist picking this up because A. it was only $15 (I think you can still get it for $20 now), B. shiny colors! and C.  all three polishes have special silver-capped bottles! All three polishes are gorgeous, and I especially love the combination of Lois with Clio on top. Speaking of Clio...
Not sure how well it shows up here, but my bottle of Clio arrived broken. The bottom had a huge chunk cleaved off (luckily it was all contained in the box and there weren't any tiny pieces). It didn't reach the polish so it didn't arrive dried out or anything, so I just taped the chunk back on (it was the best adhesive I had at the time, and it's been working quite well). I could probably ask Julep for a new bottle, but since the polish is totally unaffected and the tape holds it together nicely, I'm happy with what I have.

Now for some swatches! Please excuse how jumpy this is getting; I actually have been writing this on and off for a while now...
From left to right are Lois, Francis, Clio, Amity, and Reiko. Once again, I just really love the pairing of Lois and Francis. Clio doesn't look very impressive here by itself, but layered, it's super pretty and one of my favorite top coats.

Overall, another excellent box with beautiful polishes and a great product! I am a little nervous for September's box; Julep posted a poll on Facebook so people could vote on which product they wanted in the next box and...I already owned all the products! I love trying new things, so I'm a little sad there won't be a brand new product in the next box. Depending on polish colors, I might end up going with the It Girl box next month. We'll have to see what happens!

Thanks for reading! <3!

No comments:

Post a Comment