Saturday, July 20, 2013

Metamorphose Summer 2013 Skirt Lucky Pack Opening

Hello! Today's post (actually...there might be more than one post today, we'll see. I just like the sound of that opening...) is going to be all about my Summer 2013 Skirt Lucky Pack from the brand Metamorphose!

If you don't know about Metamorphose (full name "Metamorphose Temps de Fille, normally shortened to "Meta"), it's a Japanese clothing brand that specializes in Lolita style clothing. If you don't know what lolita is, it's a Japanese street fashion that is sort of inspired by Victorian fashion. I'm going to paste what Hello Lace, a website dedicated to the cataloging of Lolita clothing and which can be found at http://hellolace.net/, has for their summary of what Lolita is:

"Lolita (ロリータ) is a street fashion and a subculture in Japan, known for its intricate and delicate doll-like look. The clothing is inspired mainly by the Rococo and Victorian eras, but also take influences from current fashion trends. The fashion covers a large variety of sub-styles, and is generally worn by females as there is no male counterpart of Lolita. Men who desire to participate in the fashion often turn to Ouji (a unisex fashion related to Lolita), or Japanese gothic fashion. However, cross-dressing males (also known as brolitas in the west) do exist. One of the most famous Lolita icons, Mana, is a cross-dressing male."

If you are interested in learning more about Lolita fashion, there are many resources online, including the Live Journal community "egl" as well as the board /cgl/ on 4chan (yeah, I know, 4chan and all, but /cgl/ can actually be pretty helpful!).

Anyways! Every now and then, companies in Japan will release special discounted sets called Lucky Packs. Most will do this around New Years to help clear out old stock, but some, like Innocent World and Meta, will release them at other times. I made a post a long time ago about another lucky pack I got from a gyaru clothing brand called Liz Lisa. I also got the winter lucky pack Meta had released last year, but I don't think I had my blog up and running then so there isn't a post about it. For this summer pack, Meta had a few different options. They had a skirt pack which would include a t-shirt, a skirt, a tote, and a couple accessories like socks and hairbows and they also had a special jumper skirt pack which included a jumper skirt (JSK), a blouse, socks, two bows, and a tote. The JSK set was also in a special print, Happy Bell, that you could only get if you bought a lucky pack. For the skirts, you could pick if you wanted a "light" color skirt or a "dark" color skirt. The other items in the bag would be random. I went with a "light" color skirt set since I tend to wear lighter colors, although from what I've seen of other people's packs, it didn't really matter what color you picked (I saw a "dark" pack that came with a white skirt...). The skirt packs were around $90 each, depending on exchange rates and the JSK packs were around $230 each, again depending on exchange rates. Each pack included items that in total were worth more than what you paid, so both were really good deals. After shipping, which is always EMS, I paid around $110 for my light skirt lucky pack.

Here's what I got!
 I'll start with the eco-tote, since everybody got one.
The other items in my pack were neatly stuffed inside (it came shipped in a pink plastic Meta shopping bag. For my winter pack they double wrapped it, but this time there was only the outer bag and I had to cut it open and ruin it in order to get my items out) so you could pull them out one by one and be surprised. The tote is a little thinner than I thought it would be (I have another tote from my winter lucky pack that's a lot thicker, but that one is made from left over fabric so that might be why), but it's cute and functional. The little black bow is detachable.
This is the t-shirt I got in my pack. From what I've seen, everyone got this shirt. I was a little disappointed in this t-shirt; when I first ordered my lucky pack, the samples they showed of what your lucky pack could contain had really cute cherry and ice cream themed shirts. A couple days after I ordered, they suddenly put a picture of this shirt up as an example of what you'd get in your lucky pack. At first I was really worried I was going to get this black shirt; I don't like wearing black and I thought it was so boring and not at all cute, especially compared to the other examples they showed. As people started to get their lucky packs and post pictures online, it started to look like EVERYONE got this black shirt. I still had hope I'd get something different, but I resigned myself to the fact that I'd probably get the black one. So, when I opened my pack and saw that yes, I did get the black one, I wasn't completely crushed or anything. And honestly, it's a pretty nice shirt; it's nice and thick and it feels pretty soft. It's a little big on me, though. I usually wear an xs-s in US sizes, so I would say this is about a US medium. It's not a fitted shirt and the tag says it's a Japanese size "WL". It's not exactly what I wanted, but not a bad t-shirt overall.
This was my accessory! Yeah...it's a pretty intense bow. This wasn't a surprise; in the sample pictures they showed bows like these (and some smaller ones that came in a set of two), though I wasn't too excited about getting one. It's the bear that really makes it too much for me; it's just so random. The bow would be pretty cute in an over-the-top kind of way without the bear, so I might try to take it off (though it looks like it's glued on and I'm not sure if I could get it off without damaging the hearts it's glued to). There were different colors of these as well; mines in lavender, and I've seen some in blue and in green as well.
Next are my socks! I was really happy when I pulled these socks out of my bag; they're super cute and a really great color combination. They're lavender over the knee socks (OTKs) with shiny gold bows.
Here's a close up so you can see the bows a little bit better. These are super stretchy socks, which is nice. Sometimes with brand socks, if you have thicker calves the embroidery ends up getting stretched and weird looking. It's actually kind of crazy how thin your legs need to be to wear certain socks; my calves aren't that big (I have a slim to average build) and I have trouble with some of my socks. These didn't warp or anything when I wore them, so, awesome! Meta seems to have been a bit more random with the socks they put in the lucky packs since people got a pretty good variety

And finally, the best part of my lucky pack...
My skirt! I got Typewriting Squirrels in the pink colorway, exactly what I wanted! All of Meta's sample pictures showed Typewriting Squirrel skirts, so I was pretty sure that's what it would come with. From all the packs I've seen, it looks like everyone got a Typewriting Squirrels skirt, just in different colors. Part of me wishes I had taken the chance on a "dark" color pack (especially since I got a black t-shirt anyways) since it would have been nice to have gotten a grey or lavender Typewriting Squirrels skirt, but I am glad I got it in pink instead of white or off-white (also, who knows if I even would have gotten a grey or lavender skirt in a dark pack, as I said earlier, I saw a dark pack that came with a white skirt!). I'm pretty sure Meta just released this pack in order to use up all their leftover Typewriting Squirrels fabric (Meta makes special skirts that have fully shirred, stretchy waistbands for a lot of their lucky packs; it's how they use up their old prints), but I'm okay with that since I got a skirt in a print I really like for cheap!

And that's my Summer 2013 Meta Skirt lucky pack! Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I definitely feel like I got my moneys worth, especially with the skirt and the socks. The only thing that really disappointed me was the t-shirt, but since everyone else got the same one, I don't feel like I missed out on anything (and really, it's not a bad shirt, just kind of dull). I look forward to the next time Meta releases a lucky pack!

Thanks for reading! <3!

No comments:

Post a Comment