Saturday, July 13, 2013

June 2013 Glossybox - Opening and Review

Hello! So...unfortunately I did end up falling behind on my posts...I'm not even really sure why. I've been a little busy, but not enough to really get in the way of me posting things in a timely manner. Hopefully I can make it through my backlog of things to post this weekend. It's supposed to be rainy over the next couple days, so that will take care of the temptation to go hang out outside. Enough of me complaining, let's get to the topic of this post: my June 2013 Glossybox!

After my last two Glossyboxes, I was seriously considering unsubscribing, especially since it felt like Glossybox was just throwing samples together randomly, completely disregarding the beauty profile that I had to fill out when I signed up, as evidenced by them sending me a foundation in the darkest shade it came in when, in my profile, it says that I have fair/light skin. The value of my last two boxes was pretty underwhelming as well. Even though I had technically gotten my moneys worth in products, some of the products I would and even could not use, thus making them worthless to me. This box, the June 2013 box, however, has re-instilled my trust in Glossybox's ability to make great sample boxes. Granted, this box came really late, it technically came in June, but it came June 29th, the very last possible day it could come in June, but I think it was worth the wait. A little earlier in the month Glossybox had e-mailed everyone letting them know that the June box would be a little late since there was going to be a substitution with one of the samples (the nail polish). I'm glad there was a switch, since I was much more interested in trying the brand that we got, Sparitual, than the brand that we were originally going to get.

The theme for June 2013's Glossybox was "American Beauty". I've learned to ignore Gossybox themes since they don't really give you an idea of what types of products are included. I think Glossybox kind of just picks something that sounds nice and runs with it.
While this month's box is no exception, they did change up what the box looks like with some nifty artwork by Dallas Shaw!
I like the idea of changing how the box looks every once in awhile; the pink box is cute, but different artwork would really make Glossybox stand out, kind of in the way that Ipsy changes their bag every month.
I also got June's Glossymag; I did leaf through it, and while it does have some good info on things like the Oscar de la Renta perfumes and Dallas Shaw, I always find the Glossymag to be a little on the dull side. Granted, it's basically a free mini magazine, so I really shouldn't expect much, but I think it might be better if they continued to post it online, like they did for the April box, instead of including a hard copy with every box.
Here's the box just opened. As you can see, the info card has the same graphic as the cover of the box.
And here's all the products I got in my box! I got two full sized products, two deluxe/travel sized products, and a bag of six perfume samples. I like this mix of product sizes (though, obviously, more full sizes are always better!) since I have enough of each product to really be able to try it out and see if I like it enough to repurchase/buy the full size.
Here's a shot of the inside of the info card. Some of the prices Glossybox gives for the full sizes are a little off (specifically for the nail polish and the oil mist), but that may be due to different stores having different prices for them since they're only off by a dollar or two. I'll go through my samples in the order they appear on this card.

Starting with the Honey Almond Nourishing Dry Oil Mist by c.Booth!
This is actually the second dry oil mist I received in sample boxes for June/July (the other being the Beach Tonic Dry Body Oil from my July 2013 Julep Maven box). I really like the idea behind these types of products; they're a great, fast way to moisturize after taking a bath or shower. All you need to do is spritz a little on damp skin, rub it in, and you're good to go! It says you can also use this on your face, but I haven't tried that yet since I have very sensitive skin and am currently suffering through a bad breakout caused by a sunscreen that did not sit well with my skin. What I really like about this product is that it does not contain any parabens, sulfates, mineral oil, or petrolatum. The scent is also quite pleasant; it's definitely a honey and almond smell, but it's not overly sweet and sugary. It smells very natural and subtle, which I like. I've never heard of this brand before, but I'm very glad Glossybox introduced me to it. Discovering new brands is one of the reasons why I signed up for Glossybox in the first place! This is a 2 fl. oz. bottle, which is half of a full size (4 fl. oz.). You don't need a lot of product, a little goes a very long way, so this size will last me a long time. Glossybox says a full size of this is $8, but I was able to find it at Drugstore.com for $6.99. Ulta also carries this brand, and they have a similar product for $6.99 (it's the same thing, just in a different scent), but they don't have this specific product on their website. At the $6.99 full size price, this sample is worth $3.50.

Next up is a set of six sample-sized perfumes from Oscar de la Renta.
The six samples are all in the same white spray bottles and have their names printed on the side in silver. They came in a little navy silk pouch that has silver and navy enamel charms on the drawstrings. I really like the presentation of these fragrances; putting them in the bag really makes them feel like they're a high end product, that they truly are "Essential Luxuries", as the name of the collection suggests.

This series of six different fragrances is a "tailored line of six different unique scents imbued with [Oscar de la Renta's] love of beauty and luxury". Each scent is unique and I'll describe each one and my thoughts about it individually.

Santo Domingo: According to the Oscar de la Renta website, this is a "smooth, smoky tabac fragrance inspired by the tropical setting of Oscar de la Renta’s birthplace, Santo Domingo. Fresh, citrusy notes of mandarin and coriander embrace the rich warmth of tobacco, patchouli and spices in this luscious scent." This is a very masculine scent, especially with the scent of tobacco underlying everything. It's very rich and heavy and probably not a very good summer scent, but for someone who likes masculine scents, this would be a great winter fragrance.

Oriental Lace: The website describes this scent as "a daring, dark oriental laced with gourmand nuances that embody the opulent textures in Oscar de la Renta’s celebrated runway collections. The fragrance unfolds to a warm, inviting blend of the unique hoya carnosa flower with hints of honey and bitter almond surrounded by dark cacao and patchouli for a mysterious, delectable treat." I never heard of the hoya carnosa flower before, so I Googled it. It's a very weird looking flower; it's star shaped and almost kind of waxy looking. I'm not a big fan of scents like this, they tend to be a little too heavy and musky for me. This is another scent that would be much better in the winter, or in a more intimate situation such as a date in a fancy restaurant. It's very seductive smelling. This is probably my least favorite scent in this collection; to me it smells like every other high-end "oriental" perfume. There's nothing unique about it.

Granada: On the website it lists this as a "a romantic citrus floral accord with a radiant, feminine air inspired by the memory of the majestic Alhambra patios. The sweet scent of jasmine petals and bitter orange enlightened by exotic roses reflects off a fresh stream of water, leaving a lingering impression." This is definitely a fresh scent; I love the combination of the jasmine, orange, and water. The one thing that takes this scent down a notch for me is the inclusion of rose. It's subtle, but it's there and I find it too distracting. If this was a straight up fresh scent I would really like this, but the inclusion of the floral makes it a little boring.

Mi Corazon: According to the site this is "an unmistakable, white floral bouquet intrinsically associated with Mr. de la Renta’s devotion to family and his passion for gardening embodied in a lush, creamy accord of tuberose and ylang-ylang that mingle with peach for a warm tropical twist and an intoxicating trail." This is my favorite scent in this set. It's a very bright, girlie scent without being childish. I think it's the peach that really makes the scent; it smells so unique! It's fruity, but it's tempered by the gentle floral notes of the tuberose and ylang-ylang.

Sargasso: This one is described as "a crisp, green, invigorating accord is the essence of “sea spray” in a splashy Eau de Cologne. Fresh citrus notes, watery cucumber and an unexpected revitalizing greenness combine with warm sunshine and patchouli for a lasting serene finish." This is my second favorite scent. It smells incredibly fresh and green, but it's not harsh or sharp like some fresh fragrances can be. The "greenness" is very pronounced; it almost smells like how you expect a leaf to smell if you broke (if that makes sense). This is a great fragrance for summer.

Coralina: Finally, the Oscar de la Renta site describes this scent as "a timeless, classic floral bouquet as elegant as the women who inspire Mr. de la Renta’s luxurious designs: ladylike, refined and rare. The scent is an unforgettable blend of mimosa, violet and orris, softened with luxurious woody green notes." I really want to like this scent since it has potential to be a unique fresh fragrance, but the orris ruins it for me. Orris adds a very powdery scent and I really, really don't like powdery scents. They smell very dated and heavy to me, not soft and light. Victoria's Secret's popular Dream Angels Heavenly fragrance also has orris in it, so if you've smelled that, you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about when I say a "powdery" scent.

Overall, a very interesting and eclectic fragrance collection. While I don't really need anymore fragrance samples (I never have to buy perfume again...), I like that this was a true, tailored collection of scents from a well known designer. According to info card, a 3.4 fl. oz. full size is $150. When I first read the card, I thought it was $150 for the set, but it's actually $150 per full sized scent. While there's no size info on the sample bottles, I assume each is worth at least $2, which makes the set worth about $10.

Next up is this travel sized shampoo sample from Philip B.
It looks like there were a lot of different products people could have gotten from this brand. I ended up with a sample of the African Shea Butter gentle and conditioning shampoo. According to the bottle, this is for all hair types normal to color-treated. This is a paraben and phthalate free product, though it's not sulfate-free. I usually don't care too much about what kind of shampoo I use as long as it's sulfate-free since I don't use it that often, so I stick to drugstore brands (right now I use L'Oreal's EverCurl sulfate-free shampoo, but I'm thinking of changing since my hair is starting to look a little dull). This is another brand that I had never heard of before, so I'm really glad Glossybox included this sample. I've only used this once so far, so I can't really say too much about it besides "it didn't totally mess up my hair", but it seems like a nice product. I especially like that it doesn't really have a scent; you can kind of smell the shea in it, but it's a very, very faint, almost clean kind of smell. I'm interested in trying some of the other formulations (like the peppermint and avocado one), but it's kind of an expensive shampoo. This size, 2 fl. oz. is $8, and the price changes depending on which kind you buy (their Oud Royal Forever Shine shampoo is $26 for 2 fl. oz.)

Next is the product that caused this months box to come even later than usual, the Sparitual nail polish!
As I said before, I really don't mind that the box came later because they needed to make a substitution. I've heard about SpaRitual's nail polish before and I really wanted to try it, so I am more than happy to receive it as part of this box! SpaRitual is a natural-product based company, and their polish is no exception. They are vegan and are free of DBP, formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, and toluene and come recyclable glass bottles made from up to 50% recycled materials. The color I got is called "Spice of Life" and it is a shimmer finish. SpaRitual organizes their polish colors into four different categories loosely based on the four elements air, earth, fire, and water. Spice of Life falls under the "earth" category (which includes other brown and maroon based colors). The site also lists the colors numbers and their numerology descriptions. Spice of Life is color number 123, which turns into 6 (which is my favorite number, oddly enough), which is associated with generosity and wisdom; the Idealist. As silly as it is, I kind of like the idea of choosing colors based on their numerology a descriptions. LUSH does something similar with their new cosmetic line.
This is a swatch of Spice of Life (it's the one in the middle, between the pink and the blue and red glitter). It's a medium, pink-toned maroon and it's packed with shimmer, which is awesome. When I first saw the color I was a little disappointed (I was hoping for either a blue or a pink), but after swatching it, this color has really grown on me. As far as red and maroon based colors go, I think it's fairly unique and will make a great fall color. This is a full sized polish and while Glossybox lists the full size price as $12, you can buy SpaRitual polish from Sephora for $10.

Last but not least; Complexion Enhancing Lipstick from tarte.
This was one of the products that Glosybox revealed before the boxes went out (the other was the Oscar de la Renta perfumes.) and was one of the reasons why I was excited to get this months box! I love tarte's products and I'm always willing to try new things. I'm pretty sure this is a brand new product since I couldn't find it on tarte's website (or Ulta's or Sephora's). It's supposed to be a universally flattering color (I think it comes in different "tones", too. The one I got was called "fair to light". Kudos to Glossybox for getting the shade right this time) that makes your lips look fuller and more youthful. As you can see, there's a core of pink color surrounded by a nude. When you put it on, the pink stays in the middle of your lips and the nude stays on the outside. If you've looked up tutorials on how to make your lips look fuller, you'll know that putting a different color in the middle of your lips gives the illusion of fullness. This lipstick does it for you in one easy step! It's also very creamy and makes my lips feel incredibly moisturized; a lot of times I have issues with lipsticks drying out my lips, but this one wears very comfortably. I didn't even feel like I needed to put a gloss over it. This is an excellent product, and I'm glad I got to try it first (if it is indeed brand new)! This is a full sized product and according to Glossybox it's worth $14.50.

And that's my June 2013 American Beauty "themed" (seriously, I don't really see how any of these products fits into a theme) Glossybox! It came a little late this month, but it still came in June, and that's really all I ask for. I'm very, very happy with this box and will gladly stay subscribed for the next one (I technically have to since I've already been charged for it, but if it's like this one, I will be very pleased). This is exactly what I want from Glossybox; I mix of full size and deluxe/travel sized products from both brands I know and trust and brands I had never heard of before.

As far as value goes, minus the perfumes since I don't know an exact value for them, this box is worth about $36. If you count the fragrance samples as $10, that puts the box at about a $46 value, which is similar to the values of the last few boxes. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth with this box, especially with the full-sizes of the polish and lipstick. I look forward to July's!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment