Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sephora.com Order - 2013 Sun Safety Kit and Alterna Bamboo Volume Weightless Mousse

Hello! I an effort to not get backed-up with blog posts again (though technically I already am...), I'm going to try and knock out a couple posts over the next few days. I'm not sure how successful I'll be since my mother-in-law is going to be visiting us for an indeterminate amount of time tomorrow evening, but I'll try and get as much up as I can.

Way back around May 20th, Sephora posted on their Facebook wall that they had their Sephora Favorites Sun Safety Kits (that's the full name, but I'll just call it a Sun Safety Kit from here on out) for the 2013 summer season in stock online. These kits are really great; they include a bunch of deluxe samples of products related to "sun safety" such as sunscreens and bronzers. For $30 this year, you got 18 products (plus a little brush) that are supposed to be worth $210. The best part about these kits, though, is that Sephora donates $20 from the sale of a kit to the Skin Cancer Foundation. These kits are IMMENSELY popular and sell out fast. I didn't get one for myself last year, but I managed to snag one as a gift for my mother. One thing that was a little disappointing is that they came in clear plastic cosmetic bags this year, instead of the hard plastic cases they came in last year. I feel like I have more use for a hard case (such as for my nail polish, which is getting a little out of control...) than a soft case, but this is really a minor detail.
 I debated for a couple hours on whether or not I should get one after Sephora posted the notice on Facebook, but in the end I ordered one and I am glad I did! I think they sold out by the end of that day. It looks like they've come back in stock a couple times (I'm only going off the comments on Facebook), but have quickly sold out each time. I don't think you'll be able to get one of these this year, but if you're interested, definitely keep a look out for them next year! I'm not sure if these were ever in stores, I've heard that there was a store-specific one (the one I got last year I found in store), but I haven't seen it in my Sephoras near me, so I can't verify that.

This is going to be a pretty quick post just showing what I got in my order; I'm hoping to make a separate post to discuss the kit and it's contents in more detail.

Here's my package unopened. I don't know why Sephora uses the biggest boxes ever. Part of me wants to order something super tiny and cheap, like a nano eyeliner, and see how big of a box it comes in. I do have a free shipping code that is expiring soon, maybe I'll use it to test this...
And here's my order inside of the box! The cap on my mousse had actually popped off and was rolling around loose, which was kind of annoying, and the can had some weird dents in it, but everything otherwise arrived safe and sound. My kit even had plastic on it.
These are the three (four!) samples I got with my order. This is kind of why I started to order online more and less in store; I like free samples! I got Living Proof's frizz nourishing styling cream (they spell it with a line through "frizz"; I kind of like it, it's a simple way to brand a product), Philosophy's Miracle Worker eye cream (which they sent me two packets of, which is awesome!), and Becca's Radiant Skin Satin Finish Foundation in the color "light" (mostly because nothing else appealed to me). I haven't used any of these products, but I am pretty excited to try out Philosophy's eye cream, especially since I have double the sample size!

Sephora's been really big on fragrances lately (seriously, for the whole month of May every post on Facebook was about fragrance. It was weird) so they included this little booklet of perfume samples.
This is the cover of the booklet.
On one side they had pictures of five different perfumes ( Prada Candy, I Love New York by Bond No. 9's I Love New York for Mothers, Versace's Bright Crystal, Philosophy's Amazing Grace, and Marc Jacobs Daisy) along with little scent/emotion descriptions to go with them.
And on the back they had those little "lift and smell" samples so you could try out the different fragrances. All the perfumes have the same eggshell colored squares, except Prada Candy, which got a grey rectangle for some reason. Very odd. I liked the idea of this booklet, though, and thought it was well put together.

In order to make my order $50 and thus avoid paying shipping (I was silly and forgot that A. I had a 10% off coupon, B. I had a free shipping coupon, and C. to even add a special extra deluxe sample for my purchase over $25. I was pretty upset when I remembered a day later and my order had shipped), I got a back-up of my current favorite hair mousse, Alterna's Bamboo Volume Weightless Mousse.
I'm pretty sure I've posted this on here before, but here's another picture of it. I love this mousse; I like how it smells, the hold it gives me, and how it makes me hair feel (which is to say not crunchy!). It is a little pricey at $22 a bottle, but it's free of a lot of chemicals and it has "sustainable and ethically traded" ingredients. I also just love Alterna's hair care line in general (though nothing will replace my Ouidad conditioner).

And here's a quick look at the sun kit!
I think this is technically the back since it has the barcode, but I don't think it really matters. The products you can see on this side (starting from the top left and moving to the right like you're reading a sentence) are Boscia Self-Defense Vital Antioxidant Moisture Broad Spectrum SPF 30, Miracle Skin Transformer SPF 20 for the Face, bareMinerals Mineral Veil (with a mini brush!), Lancome Bienfait Multi-Vital Sunscreen Cream SPF 30, Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glow Pad, Tarte Brazilliance Self Tanner, and Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Moisture Defense Lotion.
And this is the front (other?) side! The products on this side are (starting at the top left and reading like a book) Josie Maran Broad Spectrum SPF 40 Lotion, Ole Henriksen Protect the Truth SPF 50+, Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzing Powder, Clarins UV Plus Sunscreen, Sephora Age Defy Moisture Cream SPF 15 Sunscreen, Origins A Perfect World SPF 25, Dr. Brandt Flexitone BB Cream, St. Tropez Instant Glow Body Lotion, L'Occitane Brightening Hand Care, and Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream for the Face.

Whew! That's a lot of sun safety products! As you can see, it's a super good value for $30, especially since $20 of that is getting donated towards the Skin Cancer Foundation. I think it's super important to keep yourself protected, not only in the summer, but every single day since skin cancer can really affect anyone. It can seem almost trivial (some people just get moles removed and their done), but it can spread to the rest of your body, including your brain, and it can kill. I really appreciate the thought behind these kits, and I'm super happy that Sephora puts them out to help raise awareness and to let us sample sun protection products so we can pick the best ones for us.

Hopefully I'll get a separate post up that goes into more detail on the products in this year's sun safety kit, but it will have to wait until I get all my other posts up.

Thanks for reading! <3!

No comments:

Post a Comment