Monday, May 27, 2013

Small Haul - Ulta, Kohl's, and Joann Fabrics, Plus Extras!

Hello! I'd like to start by saying Happy Memorial Day to everyone! I'm not actually doing anything today besides staying home from work (with pay! The perks of having a desk job...) since my husband is working (he doesn't have a desk job, but I also think he's getting time and a half today. Hmm...) and it's pretty gloomy out. I've spent a good third of today sleeping, which has been nice, and I don't feel too guilty about it since I got some chores done yesterday (namely, I cleaned the bathroom, which is the chore that always looms over me. I hate cleaning the bathroom, not because I think it's gross so much as I don't like being around chemicals. I try to use bio-degradable and more natural based products, but the unfortunate truth is that they just don't work as well as some of their stronger counterparts).

This post is going to be about my small shopping trip I made on Friday, while it was still semi-nice out. I had a couple coupons that were expiring on Saturday and I wanted to make sure I got to use them. Lucky for me, the three stores that I had coupons for are right next to each other!
 The first store I went to was Joann Fabrics. Admittedly, using these coupons wasn't too important since I get new ones weekly, but since I was in the area anyways, I figured I check it out. I was looking for two things; a cross stitching kit and some storage solutions for my embroidery floss. I'm not sure why, but I've recently gotten back into cross stitching. I used to be really into it, but I stopped after I learned to crochet since I enjoyed doing that more (it feels more useful). I haven't crocheted in a while (anything major at least; every now and then I'll crochet a whole bunch of cupcakes or doughnuts or something for no reason what so ever. I did crochet my mom a dolphin for Mother's Day, though.) and have just started cross stitching more. I think what I like about cross stitching is that I don't have to think about it, I just have to follow the pattern (I only do counted cross stitch, though. The pre-stamped ones feel like cheating to me). I usually like to get the Dimensions Gold kits since they have the best designs and are the best quality that I've found. I refuse to get any Janlynn kits; all the kits I've ever gotten from that brand have been very poor quality with cheap floss and terrible designs. It's like they don't test out their patterns before they package them. None of the Dimension Gold kits in stock really spoke to me, but I did find this Dimensions kit:
Isn't it cute?! I love cats, so I will go out of my way to get things that are cat-themed. I had seen this online before, but I've never spotted it in a store. I even found this in a completely different section from the other cross stitching kits, so I think I got really lucky. It's a pretty small kit, which I like since I don't seem to have the attention span for the huge ones anymore (I used to only do the giant ones) and it even comes with it's own complementary mat. My favorite part about this kit (besides it being a cat), is the blank expression the cat is making. I know it can be difficult to show expression on a cat's face since they generally don't do so in real life, but it's like the cat is just looking at the butterfly thinking "yeah, that's neat, I guess". Maybe I'm the only one that gets that from the cat's face... Regardless of that, it's a cute kit and I got it for $5 with my handy dandy Joann Fabrics coupon!

I also got a couple storage boxes for my floss since they were on sale for 50% for Memorial Day weekend. I ended up getting two for $5. I actually went to Michael's that same day since the two I had purchased weren't going to enough to store my whole collection, and I managed to get the same, exact boxes for $2 each, and they weren't even on sale! The only difference was that the ones at Joann Fabrics were marketed as floss holders, and the ones at Michael's were labeled as bead organizers. I'm just really glad I got the boxes at Joann Fabrics on sale and so ended up overpaying by only $0.50 each.
Here's my floss collection, now beautifully organized! I actually have quite a bit more, but that came from my grandmother and was already nice and organized. My own personal floss collection was in color-coded ziplock bags before I decided to bite the bullet and get these plastic holders. I also still have a ziplock bag of floss that I keep separate from the rest of my collection that's full of the colors I like to use for my Pokemon cross stitchings. I'm pretty picky about color, so some of the colors and color combos in that bag took me a long time to find and perfect, which is why I like to keep them separate.

My next stop was Kohl's, which is conveniently right next to Joann Fabrics. I don't normally shop at Kohl's since I find their products to be lower quality, especially for the prices they charge. I especially wouldn't ever buy anything at full price, but when they have things at 70%-80% off AND I have a $10 coupon, then yes, I am all over that. I'm not sure why I get the $10 coupons in the mail; they seem to come at completely random times. I got my first one over a year ago, then another one about six months after that, then I got another only a few weeks ago. And now I got a fourth one. It's strange, but I'm not really complaining (now that I think about it, this may have been my fifth one, though I'm not sure). I was interested in picking up some shoes, but nothing that was on sale really interested me so I hit up the Juniors section again to see what was on sale. And I am glad I did!

Last time I had a $10 off coupon, there was a pair of pants on sale that I really wanted, but that I could not justify paying $20 for (they were 50% of $40). Luckily, they still had them in stock (in my size!) and they had discounted them further so now they were 70%! I didn't want to push my luck, so I bought them.
Aren't they cute? I love skinny jeans and I really wanted a floral pair, and think these have a nice, almost subdued floral pattern. I also feel...safer? wearing darker bottoms since it's easier to create a balances look if your bottom is darker than your top, so I like that the base color is a deep purple-blue and that the flowers are in a similar blue/purple color scheme. It also came with this belt, which I don't think goes with these pants at all.
I know that these wasn't just thrown on there by someone who was trying them on or anything since the other sizes of these pants had the same belt. I feel like the blue is too bright and the gold metal detailing doesn't really fit with the style of the pants. I'm glad they did come with a belt, since, you know, free belt! It is a cute belt, I just won't be wearing it with these pants.

I also picked up two tops since they, too, were 70% off. The first one just really spoke to me and I had to have it.
It's two giraffes making a heart with their necks. I also think they are nose kissing. It's just such a random shirt design that I couldn't pass it up (also it was about $4, so there's that, too). I got it in a medium, which I think might be a little large for me, but I can never tell with Junior sizes. Some things follow women's sizing, and some things follow their own sizing, so I can buy something that's an extra small that will fit fine and then another that's a large which will fit equally as well. It's weird.

I also couldn't pass up this shirt, which I unfortunately couldn't find in any size besides large.
Awesome, isn't it? I originally found a very similar shirt except it only had Captain America on it. While the Captain is pretty cool, he's not my favorite, and I liked this shirt way more. I like the retro style graphic and the fact that they included more than just the current most popular characters. It is going to be big on me, but it is a style that's meant to be baggy, so I think it will be okay. I think this shirt will look super cute over some leggings!

My last stop on this shopping trip was Ulta. Last time I went, I got a coupon that was good for $5 off any $15 purchase that printed with my receipt (not sure what I did to get it, though maybe they're random). It was only good for a few days, but I definitely had something in mind that I wanted to use it on. One thing that I don't like about Ulta's coupons is that they don't work on "prestige" items, only on drugstore stuff. Pretty much all I buy at Ulta are prestige items, so I never get to use my coupons. This coupon was kind of vague about what it could and what it couldn't be used on, so I figured I'd try to use it anyways. I was informed that, technically, I was not allowed to use it on the items I have purchased, but that they were going to honor it for me just this once, which I really appreciated (...if they hadn't honored, I probably would not have purchased my items, but I didn't say that.). What did I buy? This!
The Backstage Basics kit by butter London!  I also picked up this polish:
It's called "Knackered". It's basically amazing. I'm not going to talk too much about this kit and polish now since I'm going to do a whole post where I review it and tell you about it, but I wanted to include it here since it was part of my haul.

So that was my shopping excursion to use up my expiring coupons. I think it was pretty successful, even if my "haul" was on the small side. I always feel weird saying "haul" which I only buy four or five things, but I see people on Youtube posting "haul" videos all the time where they've only purchased one or two items. I feel like it's one of those words that has lost a lot of meaning, like "epic". I also have a couple random things I wanted to show you guys, but I don't think that they warrant their own post!

I have a couple finished cross stitching kits to show you! The first one I know I posted about when I bought it, but I don't think I ever posted the finished product. These haven't been washed or ironed or anything yet, so they're a little wonky looking and wrinkly.
This one turned out really nice. I love the colors and the composition. I never know what to do with these, but my husband's grandmother suggested I make it into a small pillow, which actually sounds like a good idea.
This one is actually really old; I finished the cross stitching part way back before we moved to our current place, so it's over two years old. I just recently went through my collection and uncovered a lot of unfinished kits that I want to work through. This one still needed all the back stitching and french dots so I thought it would be a good place to start. Let me just say, I've forgotten how annoying doing multiple french knots can be...

And for something completely random, this is the absolutely weirdest tasting breakfast cereal I have ever eaten:
I read about this combo on a food blog, and since I like coconut and theoretically like mango (I only like dried, unsweetened mango, especially the kind from Trader Joe's. I thought I liked mango in general, but every other mango-flavored thing I have ever eaten I have not liked, including fresh mango. I still maintain that I like mango and will one day discover some other mango-flavored item that pleases me) I really wanted to try it. I had a really hard time finding, but I eventually picked up a box from my Cub Foods (it's a grocery store). I don't even know how to describe how this cereal tastes, besides like sugary mango and coconut. It's weird; I'm totally okay with other fruit flavored cereals, but I don't know why mango just seems so odd. Maybe it's because I've never had mango flavored cereal before...hmm. If you like the flavors of mango and coconut, or are interested in trying something new, try and find a box of these. While they are weird tasting, it's not a bad taste, and I happily eat these for breakfast with vanilla almond milk.

I hope you found this post interesting and thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment