Saturday, May 18, 2013

Julep Spring Clean Skincare Set - Opening and Review

Hello! In this post, I'm going to do an opening (except not really because I've already opened it and used it...) and review of my first Julep Secret Shop purchase; the Spring Clean Skincare Set!

Anyways! This was my first time being able to access the Secret Shop, which I believe is only for Mavens and opens up around the first of the month. There are a lot of really good deals in the Secret Shop, but the one that really got my attention was the Spring Clean Skincare Set. For only $17, I got Julep's Pink Grapefruit Body Scrub, Pink Grapefruit Body Frosting, the Scrub Towel and Mitt, and a nail polish. UPDATE: While checking out Julep's website to get more detailed info about these products, and it looks like the Pink Grapefruit Scrub and Frosting are no longer available in the online store. Perhaps Julep made the Spring Clean Skincare Set in order to clear out any remaining stock before they stopped selling it...
Here's how my Spring Clean Skincare set came! It did come in two separate shipments, which is why it took me so long to posting about it (remember, I ordered this around the first of May).
Here's how my Spring Clean Skincare set came! It did come in two separate shipments, which is why it took me so long to posting about it (remember, I ordered this around the first of May). The first part of my order came very quickly; I believe it came around May 7th. When I opened it, however, I sad to discover that it was missing my Scrub Towel and Mitt. I had to double check to make sure that the set actually DID include the Scrub Towel and Mitt ( I didn't want to e-mail customer service if I wasn't actually missing anything from my order), which turned out to be tricky since the Secret Shop had closed and my confirmation e-mail didn't have an itemized list of what was included in the set. Luckily, in my confirmation e-mail there was a tiny little picture that was the same as the one they had on the site that showed everything included in the set, and it had the Scrub Towel and Mitt. So I e-mailed customer service, and a few days later they had e-mailed me back apologizing for the mistake and gave me a tracking number for my missing items. This is the second time I've e-mailed Julep's customer service, and both times I have been very satisfied with both the result and the length of time they took to get back to me. They do have a number you can call to speak with someone directly if you have an emergency (or if you're just impatient), which is also nice.
Both boxes came with two cards and a sample packet of Julep's Rock Star hand cream. The big cards that say "Social Beauty" have all the links to the different social media sites that you can find Julep on (so Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Youtube; the standards) and the little ones are kind of just for hype and to thank you for purchasing from Julep, which is cute and thoughtful. I love getting samples, and I especially love getting these hand cream samples since they're great for throwing in my bag and leaving at work (I think I talked about this before, but some of my co-workers like to use my hand lotions without asking, even if I try to hide them, and these little packets are really easy to tuck way in the back of my desk).

In the Spring Clean Skincare set, Julep included a nail polish; Delaunay from the Trina Turk Fall '12 collection.
For me, the nail polish was kind of like a nice extra since I would have purchased this set even if it wasn't included (though I'm glad it was because getting more nail polish is always better!). It's not a color I would have picked up for myself since it is a ridiculously bright red. On the site, they describe it as a "chili pepper red crème". I would go so far as to call a "neon red" (can there be a neon red? I'm pretty sure that's a thing...). It amuses me that, before I signed up to be a Julep Maven, I had one red nail polish that I only ever wore around Christmas and now I have like five different reds. I might try wearing this shade since it's so fiery and summery, but we'll see. One issue I do have with it is that the brush is bent in a weird way. I'm not sure how it happened (maybe the bottle was laying on it's side for a long time; this is a color from Fall 2012), or if it will affect how the polish applies since I've only swatched it so far. Since I see this polish as being more of a "freebie" than something I actually paid for as part of this set, it doesn't really bother me.

Lately, I've been getting more and more into shower and bath products (I'm getting really excited for my Fortune Cookie Soap box to come in June!), so I was interested in trying out Julep's Body Frosting and Body Scrub. Since they're not on the website anymore, I can't tell you what they cost outside of the set, but I think it was around $12-$14 each after the Maven discount. Most mid-level body butters and scrubs are around this range, with some pushing $20 (I currently use Soap & Glory's The Righteous Body Butter, which smells amazing and makes my skin feel great, and it's $20 for a 10oz jar). Like I said, this box was only $17, so I thought it would be a really great way to try these two products out without the risk of spending a lot of money on a product I might not like.

 Here's the Body Frosting and Body Scrub. Very similar, simple packaging; the top picture is more accurate color-wise. They do come sealed, though the seal on my Body Frosting was loose when I got it. I initially didn't think it had a seal, so I got worried and watched some videos on Youtube to see if other people's did. From what I saw, people would just unscrew the cap and be able to see and smell the product without having to remove a seal, so I figured there just wasn't one. The next time I opened it, there was a seal on it. I was super confused, but since the seal on my scrub had some off so easily, what I think happened is that, when I unscrewed the cap on my body frosting, the seal had detached and lodged itself in the cap where I couldn't see it. Regardless, the body frosting looked untouched when I first got it, so I'm not worried.

 I was most excited about trying the body scrub since the only only scrub I've ever really used was one from Victoria's Secret Pink line from a looooong time ago (when I bought it it was on the semi-annual sale because they were discontinuing the line. I only bought one tube since I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I really regret not buying more because it was pretty awesome. It was from the Pink Natural line, I believe, and it smelt like vanilla.) and with summer coming, my skin needed a little TLC. One thing I was worried about was that I wouldn't like the pink grapefruit smell. I generally don't like super strong citrus smells (I love oranges but I avoid eating them because peeling them makes my hands smell like oranges for a long time afterwards), but this (and the frosting) have a very subtle scent. There is a hint of pink grapefruit (if you didn't know what the scent was before you smelled it, you'd still know right away what it's supposed to smell like), but it's not a strong or bright smell; it's almost like it's been toned down with something (maybe vanilla), but I'm not sure how to really describe it. I don't really like the scent since it does smell a little strange, but it doesn't linger (same goes for the frosting, which is good because I like to wear scents in perfume or mist form and I don't like it when the scent of my lotion or hair products are overpowering).

I've used this scrub a few times now, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It seems to dissolve really quickly, so I end up using a lot more than I think I need (my Pink scrub was also a sugar scrub, but it didn't dissolve nearly as quickly. Julep's scrub has more natural ingredients than the Pink one did--at least I am assuming it does. Even though it was from the "Natural" line, I'm pretty sure it wasn't all that natural--so that might have something to do with it. I don't really have anything else to compare it to, so I don't really know. I'm thinking about trying a salt-based body scrub to see if they're any different than sugar-based ones. The Pink Grapefruit Body Scrub also leaves a weird film on my skin; it's supposed to be super hydrating, but after using it it kind of feels like it all stays on my skin and doesn't absorb, making me feel greasy. The frosting also makes me feel a little filmy and greasy right after I use it, but it goes away quickly and isn't an issue.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Body Frosting since it makes my skin feel soft and hydrated, but doesn't make it feel greasy. Frosting is a very good name for this product since it is so light and fluffy; it really does have the texture of a whipped frosting and it goes on very smooth. As for the Body Scrub, like I said, I'm really on the fence about it. It does do what it says it does, but since I haven't used many scrubs before, I don't know how it performs compared to others. Also, the filmy/greasy feeling it leaves behind can be a bit unpleasant.

I was also super interested in trying out the Scrub Towel and Mitt.
According to the Julep website, these are "a Korean bathhouse basic used for scrubbing off dead skin cells, flaky skin, and impurities to uncover silky smooth skin. For best results, use at least once a week." I was most excited to try the mitt since it seems like a really easy and simple way to exfoliate in the shower. I've been looking into manual exfoliation bath products, but they all tend to be way too harsh for my skin. I don't know if I just have sensitive or delicate skin (I know the skin on my face is sensitive; maybe that means all of my skin is...), but I have a hard time finding loofas and brushes that don't leave me with red scratches. These are delicate enough that they don't leave me with any red marks, but strong enough that they make my skin feel soft and exfoliated after I use them. I actually prefer this method of exfoliation over the body scrub since I don't feel like I'm wasting any product and it leaves me feel clean and refreshed, not greasy.

And that's my Spring Clean Skinecare set from the May 2013 Julep Secret Shop. Once again, Julep delivers excellent products at a very good price and now I can't wait until June's Secret Shop opens!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment