Tuesday, March 19, 2013

More Magazines!

Hello! Uh, so it seems like the "pick a certain day and post something everyday" idea didn't turn out quite the way I was hoping. I'm not sure why I keep putting off posting; it actually makes it harder to make quality posts because I forget things or I don't take pictures of everything like I should; things like that. As you can see from the title, this post is going to be about my last magazine order! ("Last" as in the last one I received, not the last one I'll be making.) I placed this order on 2/24, and I think it shipped out shortly after that. I got it...Thursday last week? So around 3/14 it got to me.
A little longer than usual for SAL shipping (at least around here, most things come in about a week), but by no means out of the norm.
Here they are after just opening the box! I get really excited and open them during my lunch time (I get to come home from work for lunch). This box had the same green paper as the last one, which I assume is because they were shipped out within a few days of each other. They usually pack them with more neutral colored tissue, but the green was a nice touch.
Here they are out of the box but still wrapped up. I know I've mentioned it before, but CDJapan does a really great job packing their magazines. I've been nothing but pleased with them, and I have ordered far too many magazines from them.
Here's everything all laid out! I mostly just wanted to buy the Angelic Pretty mook (in fear that it was going to sell out as quickly as the BTSSB one did. That has been my most difficult to obtain magazine/mook to date) but I figured since I was already paying for shipping, I might as well get a few other things I had my eye on. I got the March issue of egg and a mook/catalog for a brand of room-wear called "Cookie Fortune Love" (or just "Cookie Fortune". I'm not too sure on that.) because it came with a super cute tote. Believe it or not, but there was a time in my life where I would not be swayed by a cute tote.
Here's a picture of the Sugary Carnival tote that came with the Angelic Pretty mook. It's a fairly nice tote, it's well constructed and the fabric, while slightly plastic-y, seems like it will hold up nice. My two complaints are that the handles are made out of a weird material and feel very stretchy and flimsy; if you have a lot of stuff in the tote, they feel like they might break, and that it only comes in the black colorway. I know a lot of other people felt similarly about the color, but to be honest, I don't ever plan to wear this with a lolita outfit. I like having bags like this so I can use them when I'm out and about in my normal clothes and secretly show people who are in the know that I like lolita fashion.
And here is the tote that came with the Cookie Fortune Love mook! I am VERY pleased with this tote! It's really big and feels really sturdy. It's a nice, thick canvas material and it even has a metal snap on top. Not to mention that it has a cute cat design on it! From what I can tell in the mook, these two cats are kind of like the mascots of the brand, and they do exist in real life. There's a little spread about them in the mook with cute pictures. Honestly, I know nothing about this brand beyond what I can gather from this one catalog.
The Cookie Fortune Love mook also came with this super cute pass case! I really wish I still had a bus pass (...and that I was still in college as I was when I had said bus pass...) just so I could use this everyday. I've been wearing it anyways, kind of like a gigantic bag charm. It's made of sturdy plastic and it feels like it will hold up for a good long while.

So that was my latest magazine order from Japan! This is my smallest order so far, but like I said, I just really wanted to get the Angelic Pretty mook ordered. Some people are trying to sell them for $35-$45 not even including shipping, which is absolutely ridiculous. This whole order cost me around $50 INCLUDING shipping, so I paid around $20 for it. I do have my sights set on some more magazines I'd like to order, but I know I need to be careful and not go overboard. Afterall, I can't even read these magazines (I took 2 years of Japanese in college, but Kanji was my weak point) and I have very limited access to a lot of the fashion and beauty items contained therein.

Now, to change gears completely, I have a few other random things I wanted to post, but that don't really need a post of their own. First, I found this super cute picture of Karl Lagerfeld and his cat, Choupette in my Nylon mag. I thought it was too great of a picture to just throw away with the rest of the magazine (I have a bad habit of keeping old magazines, thinking that I'll one day have a creative use for them, like making a collage or something but I never do and so I make a conscious effort to throw out magazines when I finish reading them), so I torn it out and framed it!
I want to hang it on my wall above my desk, but I'm afraid that it might fall down and, being so heavy, do some damage to my computer and/or all the random crap I have on top of my desk (I have a lot of Littlest Pet Shop toys, some Pokemon figures, my LaLaLoopsy blind bag figures...there's a bunch of random stuff up there...) so it's been sitting on my table. I love Choupette's expression as well as the cat ears that Mr. Lagerfeld is sporting. The frame is one my husband I had got as a wedding present; we don't really have any pictures to hang up (we have yet to even look at our own wedding photos and it's been over nine months now...) so I felt this was a good use for it.

Going back to this being completely random, ever since I had a bad reaction to the argan lip balm I had gotten with my 500-point Sephora Beauty Insider reward, I've been looking to find a good lip balm. My lips get super super dry and flaky in the winter. I used to use the moisturizing kind of Chapstick (it comes in a blue tube), but I've been trying to shy away from using lip products with stuff like petroleum and mineral oil in them. I was having good luck with Burt's Bees, until the skin around my mouth broke out and cracked really bad from the argan oil lip balm. After that, it just seemed like the Burt's Bees balm was making it worse (I have two different varieties, the original and the nourishing one with mango) so I eventually had to go back to my blue Chapstick. It helped heal my lips and skin and I've been afraid to go back to the Burt's Bees. I started to also wear lip gloss again (I had stopped because I was afraid that I might have an infection or something; the corners of my mouth cracked TERRIBLY. It was really painful and they're still not fully healed) but now it seems like my mouth corners are cracking again. I heard some good things about the EOS balms, so I figured I'd give those a try since they're supposed to be 95% organic and 100% natural. They have a few different flavors; a mint one, a "summer fruits" one, a melon one, and a new lemon one (but that one is a different formula since it contains sunscreen and isn't 95% organic and 100% natural like the others). Since I don't like melon, and was afraid of trying the mint (one of the issues I had with the Burt's Bees was the camphor in the original; it irritated my skin and I was afraid the mint would, too), I picked the "summer fruits" one. That was a bad decision.
The lip balm itself felt really nice and smooth and it didn't seem to irritate my poor lips, but the smell/taste is just AWFUL. I thought "summer fruits" would be like a strawberry-themed flavor, with maybe cherries or something mixed in, but I guess I don't know what "summer fruits" are because it did not taste/smell like anything I'd want to call a fruit. Or summer-y for that matter. I'm not sure how to really describe it...it's almost like...when they make a plastic toy that's scented and they just call it "fruit". It's chemical-y, plastic-y, and really artificial smelling. The taste is even worse. I don't want to put it on again to give a better description of it, but it had a really weird hint of "barn yard". I know that sounds weird, but it's one of those things where you can tell the taste of something even though you've only ever smelt it before (I'll admit, I'm not 100% opposed to a "barn yard" taste. Little Caesar's "Crazy Sauce" kind of has that "barn yard" taste and I really love that stuff).

I really, really want to like this lip balm. I think the packaging is cute and fun to use and like I said, there's nothing wrong with the balm itself, just the taste of it. I might go back and buy the other three flavors to try them out as well. They're only $3 each, so it's not a big investment.

Moving on to more unrelated things, I made Rice Krispie Bars!
Okay, so they're technically not "Rice Krispie" Bars, but they are a thousand times better. When I was in college, I had a meal plan, so I got two meals a day from my college's meal halls (fancy word for cafeterias). They would always make "Rice Krispie" Bars out of whatever cereal they had lying around so we'd end up with delicious creations like Reese's Puffs bars and Cap'n Crunch bars. But the BEST bars where the ones they made out of Lucky Charms. I don't know what it is, maybe it's the fact that mini marshmallows covered in marshmallow goo is the best thing ever, but those bars were AMAZING. And they'd be so gooey and buttery and, ugh. Wonderful. I would eat so many of those; it's where my "freshman 15" came from. I love "Rice Krispie" bars in general, and I especially love them when they're super gooey and buttery and very vanilla-y. This is a great time of year to make "Rice Krispie" bars since Kraft (I think it's Kraft...) has special Easter marshmallows that are multi-colored, vanilla flavored bunnies which are the BEST marshmallows to make "Rice Krispie" bars with. Granted, when they all melt together they become this kind of...puce color, but they have the perfect amount of vanilla in them! So I melted half a stick of butter, threw in a bag of bunnies, mixed the gooey mess into a big bowl of 5-6 cups of Marshmallow Treasures (also known as Marshmallow Mateys; generic Lucky Charms. They work better in this type of recipe than the real Lucky Charms since their cereal pieces, which are anchors, are fatter and seem to hold more marshmallow-butter goo) and dumped it into a foil lined (and buttered!) cake pan. I also added sprinkles because I'm cool like that. Seriously, these are the best things ever and if you like "Rice Krispie" bars, you have to make these.

That should be it for now (it's actually not, I ended up going shopping and I bought some neat things, but those are for another post). I did place a couple orders with Sephora, but I think I'm going to start talking about things I order when they actually get here. Posting a picture of what's coming is nice and all, but I think it makes more sense to just wait. Also, it's more fun because then you guys don't know what I'm getting!

Thanks for reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment