Sunday, March 31, 2013

Glossybox March 2013

Hello! Glad to see you again! I'm very excited for this post because this is going to be the opening of my very first Glossybox! For those of you who don't know what Glossybox is, it's a monthly subscription service where you get a box in the mail each month that contains deluxe samples or full-sized products of make-up and skincare/haircare. There are a LOT of these types of services out there right now that range in price from $10 up to $50+. Glossybox is in the middle at $21 a month for 4-5 products/samples (and that includes shipping, which is nice). I heard about Glossybox from Youtube, actually. I like watching "products I regret buying" videos (I don't know why they amuse me so much) and one of the vloggers was bashing Birchbox (on a side note, I would never sign up for a Birchbox. It just seems so random both in the type and quality of the samples you receive) and talked about other subscription services that she thought were better. Glossybox was one of those. Since I love getting things in the mail, I love trying new things, and I love surprises (if you don't go on the website near the end of the month when they revel what's in the boxes, you can be surprised), I thought why not!
I signed up mid March and got my March 2013 box a few days ago!
This is the box that came in the mail. It's turned funny so you can see the Glossybox name and so you can't see my address. I wasn't actually home when it came, but my postperson (we have like...5 different ones. I don't know why.) left it at management office for my apartment building.
And here is the actual Glossybox! The box the samples are packed in is really high quality; I'm going to keep it and use it as a nice gift or storage box. It's very heavy and has the classy Glossybox logo on the front and stamped all over the inside.
Here's the box opened! Seriously, how cute is that? The samples come wrapped in tissue paper, with a pink ribbon to tie it all together. There's also a bunch of those crinkly cardboard strips to make sure the samples stay safe. The card on top describes the theme of the box (this month was "Spring Fling") as well as the products that are included in your box. What's nice, too, is that the card also says what the values are for the full sized versions of the products. Being the silly person that I am, I didn't actually get a picture of how the samples were packed in the box, so I'm going to move right into the individual samples!

The first item I pulled out of my box was this:
This is the Limoncello soap by the brand Prestiche. They also included a $40 off of any purchase coupon to use on Prestiche's website. Generally, I think these coupons are pretty lame since a. the higher the amount you get off, the more expensive the items are the begin with and b. you usually get screwed by shipping costs. Both of these hold true for this offer. Pretty much everything on Prestiche's website is over $40 (except for the soaps, which are about $20 each) and shipping is $12 (from what I hear; I didn't actually check that myself). Granted, you could be getting a $50 jar of body butter for $32 with this coupon, but you have to ask yourself is $32 worth it for body butter? It isn't for me, but that doesn't mean it's not worth it for other people, so it was a nice little offer to include. As for the soap, I was initially disappointed by the scent because I don't like lemongrass and I was sad I didn't get a lavender one, but I'm glad I didn't get the rose one, so I can't complain too much. It's a very nice soap; it makes my skin feel good and the scent doesn't linger. One bonus is that it actually makes my bathroom smell nice since you can smell the lemongrass (which at the very least smells clean and fresh to me, even if I don't necessarily like it). This was a full sized product and is valued at $16.99.

The second item I pulled out was:
This hairspray by Sebastian Professional. I figured we'd be getting something like this since there was an e-mail where you could "upgrade" your box and add on full sizes of this product for an additional fee (that, and there was one of those stickers they put on boxes that contain potentially hazards materials on my package. They put it on packages that have things like aerosols and nail polish remover.) I pretty much never use hairspray so I wasn't too thrilled about this, but it will be nice to have around in case I do ever find myself in need of hairspray and it's a compact, travel size which could be useful. A full size of this product is 10.6 oz and costs $17.00. This 1.5 oz sample is worth $2.45.

Next up we have:
A cheek and lip tint by Model Co in the color "Rosy Red". I am really bad at using liquid and gel cheek tints; I can never get them to blend right and they end up looking streaky on me. I have Benefit's Posetint and I just can. Not. Get it to work. It says this tint is a gel formula, so maybe I will have better luck with it. I tried some on the back of my hand and while it looks super scary dark at first, when you blend it in (by tapping, no rubbing!) it turns into a softer, raspberry-y flush. It also smells really delicious, which is always a bonus. This is a full sized product and is valued at $24.00.

The fourth item I got was:
A matte brown liquid eyeliner from a company called Elite Models. According to the little sheet, this is a waterproof eyeliner from France (oooo fancy!). Liquid eyeliner is one of those things I've always wanted to try, but have been a little afraid to since I hear there can be a steep learning curve in doing it right. I'm really glad they sent this in a brown color (I think everyone got brown) since it looks much less harsh with my fair skin and blue eyes. I haven't tried it as a liner yet (again, scared) but I tried some on the back of my hand and I like it. It goes on really smooth and when it dries it doesn't smudge. One other thing I like about it is that while it's waterproof, my eye make-up remover took it off the back of my hand pretty easily. One thing I really hate about wearing make-up is how hard it is to get off my eyes. I have to go back over them numerous times and even then, some sticks around for a while. The day after I wear stuff like liner and mascara, I have it still smeared all around my eyes and it is not a pretty look. I don't know if I just haven't found the right remover yet, but it sounds like this is a pretty common problem. I actually read that a lot of make-up artists at things like fashion shows use baby wipes to clean models' faces and that they work really well, so I picked up a pack of "sensitive skin" baby wipes (I got the Pamper's "Sensitive Wipes". They're alcohol-free, which is cool.) I haven't tried them yet because I haven't fully convinced myself they won't make me breakout or sting my eyes or something, but one day I'll work up the courage and I'll let you guys know what I think. This is a full sized product and retails for $15.00.

Finally, my last product was:
A Pixi brand Lid Last Shadow Pen in the color "Graphite Glint". Since I wanted the products to be a surprise, I didn't read my card before I opened my box. I didn't see this product in my box at first, so when I found it, it was like a nice, double surprise! This is an eyeshadow stick, which has become popular as of late. I think people really like the convenience of drawing on their eyeshadow and blending with their fingers instead of having to use a brush. One thing I don't like about these is how ambiguous it is on whether a. there is more product than just the tip and b. how to go about getting said product. I have a concealer stick from Urban Decay like this, too. It looks like you might be able to twist the bottom to get more product out, and there are a lot of products like this (I prefer it that way), but no. It's possible you can sharpen them, but it looks like it's made out of plastic which you may or may not be able to (my concealer stick falls into this category; I Googled it, and it's one that you can sharpen.). Another thing I didn't like was the color choice. On the site, the sample they show is a nice light pink color, and a lot of the reviews talk about getting a shimmery pink color, which I think I would have preferred. This is a very deep graphite gray, which is a color I don't usually wear (greys look...weird on me). It is, however, a nice product over all. I tried it on the back of my hand and it goes on smoothly and is highly pigmented. It also seems to blend nicely, so overall, it's a nice product. This is a full sized product and it retails for $18.00.

Overall, I am very pleased with my March 2013 Glossybox! It contains a couple products that I wouldn't consider buying on my own, but that's kind of the point of these subscription boxes. They good at easing you out of your make-up comfort zone without having to invest a lot of money in trying new things. I was really surprised to get four full sized products; I thought it would be one, maybe two full sizes and the rest deluxe samples, but no, I got four full sizes! I paid $21 for my box (which, again, includes the shipping and handling) and it has a value of about $76.45 (I didn't include the $40 coupon because to me that doesn't really add any value), so overall, a good deal! I'm really looking forward to April's box and I might even gift my mom a box (they give you the option of giving a box as a gift) for Mother's Day. Seriously, if you like getting random things in the mail, sign up for Glossybox. Also, if you do want to sign up, it would be really cool if you used my referral link: http://www.glossybox.com/referal?CI=NDczMTY= , but you totally don't have to.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to seeing you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment